2011 Montana elk help please

texan79

Anyone here offer any guide services in Montana? Got 5 active military guys that that will be applying for tags and need some help as to where to go. Looking at a DIY trip, as the outfitters seem to cost more than our salaries allow. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. PM for my email or phone number and thanks to all in advance.

Anyone here offer any guide services in Montana? Got 5 active military guys that that will be applying for tags and need some help as to where to go. Looking at a DIY trip, as the outfitters seem to cost more than our salaries allow. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. PM for my email or phone number and thanks to all in advance.

What kind of trip interests you? There are Wilderness hunts that require backpacking and Montana is STEEP!

The Breaks offers the opportunity to see many elk and many, many hunters.

There are areas where you can harvest a cow with your tag. Other areas allow you to take a spike and other areas are brow-tined only.

Many areas where you can drive to a campsite or stay in a motel and get into elk with a short hike.

If you want to discuss scouting services let me know. I do a substantial amount of preseason scouting and I always locate herds that I will never hunt.

A little more info would be good, like bow or rifle, bulls or cows, book bulls or just hornage, wilderness backpack or regular.
If one takes money for guiding in MT without an outfitter license more than likely you will get some bad attention from the game warden, but there are some ranches that for a modest trespass fee they will let you on and usually point ya in the right direction and help get it out sometimes also.

Start scouting now. Use Google Earth and USFS & BLM maps to locate good public areas to hunt. Montana FWP website has lots of info on hunter success rates to help you choose your hunting area. Just remember that if you scout hard your hunt will be more successful. Getting the tag is the easy part.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.