2011 Missouri Buck

Thanks Fiftydriver! I wish more people would pass up young deer instead of think the neighbor will kill it is soon as it jumps the fence. Yes that does happen but there is also a good chance they will never even see the deer you let go. Its not for everybody and doesn't always work, but when it does payoff you may just get a buck of a lifetime!!

If I had more land or if all 600-1000 acres I've got to hunt on were all together I would be more patient on pullin the trigger..when you can see 4-5 orange vests on neighboring property from your stand its hard to pass up any clean shot when it presents itself....there's 4 4-6 year old bucks at my father in-laws that anybody that hunts there( put in my request for opening weekend for next year) gets a picture from one of the many trail cameras he has set up...those 4-6 year olds are off limits to all but his daughters....he's got one massive 8 or 9 year old that survived again this year that I hope will walk to the pond me and my wife will be set up near next November 10th!

An 8 or 9yr old would be a trophy no matter what he had for a rack!! Sounds like you have apretty good farm to hunt on them with that many mature bucks running around! The farm this buck was taken off of was a 260ac farm with hunters on 3 sides of the property. There was only one guy who seen the buck and that was last year, he was bedded down with a doe out in a CRP field, lucky for me he couldn't get a shot at him. I know what you mean though every time I let a buck walk and later hear a gun shot I think, well so much for that one growing! but that may be the biggest deer that person has ever shot so I don't worry too much. If they make it great, if not hopefully whoever shot it is tickled with it and he takes a trip to the taxidermist!

The last "managed" buck at my family farm a friend of ours had watched this buck and kept track of him year round for 12 years, found almost every shed he dropped and took him with his bow at 13 years old...only shot him cause his rack was starting to go down hill...don't remember what he scored but it was close to a new state record for Missouri with a bow....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.