2011 Dall Sheep

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
All,

I realize this is very late but wanted to share my 2011 dall ram hunt.

My buddy Charlie and I have always wanted to score a double on a sheep hunt. We have been sheep hunting many times and have even scored in the same year but never side by side or even in the same area.

Charlie found a nice ram he really wanted during the scouting season. In another area, I found two legal sheep in the same band but not as nice as his. The choice of where we would go was up to him. He decided that even though his ram was nicer, he wanted us to score together more so. Since he has helped me with several sheep and I had 6 of them where he had only 1, I offered to help him anywhere he wanted to go and to have first choice.

One of the two rams was right at full curl which I could not tell by field evaluation but his growth rings were pretty obvious and judged him at 8 years. The other ram was clearly not full curl and broken on one side. Broken on one side does not make for legal. Again, I was able to count 8 rings.

Opening day we got right on them and followed them up to 5400' into the very dense fog. After a long day of wind, rain, sleet, snow and fog, the weather broke in the evening. We would watch them for only a few minutes during very short breaks in the fog. When it broke for good we found they had decended 2000' to the creek bottom to feed. We hustled down, set up and Charlie shot 'Curly' and a moment later I shot 'Buster'. Both with the 338Edge. Then it was 2 days of packing out. The shots were not long but were still difficult with the very steep downhill angle, and the fact that they were in a hurry. They knew something was up and were getting out of Dodge.

Regards!

M

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 119
Congrats to you both!!! I love that last pic, really shows terrain and weather we western hunters endure!

Great job. It is so fun when you connect with hunting buddies. My brotherinlaw and I connected on6x6 one bow trip. I also remember a last day of season when a friend and I slammed bulls. I have as yet to draw a tag put in 30+

Congrats to you and your partner. Great story and pics as usual. I hope I get the chance to hunt Dall at least one more time in the future...man those things are beautiful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.