200gr Berger hybrid vs 215gr hybrid on game

BMF

I know the impressive resume on the 215s, but I can't find much about the 200gr hybrids terminal performance on deer/elk ect.
I've never put my hands on any and I wonder if the meplate hole/depth is the same as the215s? If so, its possible they may have similar results.
~Maybe they havn't been out long enough to compile sufficient data

Any info?

I can't speak to the metplant diameter as I don't have the bullets in front of me to compare. However, I do have hunting experience with the 200 grain Hybrid Targets out of a 26" 300 Win Mag. I found a great load with Rem brass, COAL of 3.625" (.030" jump), 77 grains of H4831SC and CCI250. It shoots consistently under .75 MOA and runs 2960fps with ES of under 15. .5 MOA has not been uncommon. I can't expect a lot more from a really rough factory barrel.

This last hunting season we took one buck at 20 yards heavily quartered away. Shot entered at back rib, destroyed vitals and stopped at the inside of the offside shoulder.

Second buck was a steep downhill at 308 yards. Shot entered a little high behind shoulder, destroyed lungs and exited from rear part of offside shoulder.

Third buck was another downhill 325 yard shot. Bullet entered slightly high behind shoulder, ruined lungs and got part of the heart, blew out three offside ribs and came to rest in the middle of the offside shoulder.

My younger son just took a spike bull elk with it at 685 yards. Shot was a steep downhill, he placed two shots slightly high behind the shoulder. Lungs were wrecked and both bullets exited the off side. Expansion was noticeably less at this velocity but I was still pleased at the damage. Terminal performance looked typical of standard hunting VLD bullets that I've used in the past.

Thanks Weed for the reply. Sounds like the 200s may be comparable, or a little bit less likely to expand or implode inside the animal, to the 215s. Granted this is just a small sample of results, but it may be a viable big game bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.