200gr accubond - where do you like to seat them?

LRHWAL

I know that we really need to do this by "organised trial and error"...

But at the price over here I'd like to test from a COL that worked for those who've tried them please.

I've started load development with the 200gr AB in my 300WM. I've achieved 2850 fps quite easily and the loads have good ES. Nevertheless at the current COL I'm shooting patterns and not groups! I know the AB should shoot well by all accounts and from what I've seen here.

I like to shoot with a jump around 0.040 and even my 210VLD's shoot lights out there, but not the AB's.

Any ideas at to what you've had good results with will be welcome and maybe I can start there and save a bit on bullets whilst I get the load worked up. Thanks.

Have you checked your run out? Are you using a competition seater?

I usually try to seat about .010 - .020 off the lans.

I Have only used the 200 AB's in basic load development with my 300 RUM and ran out of bullets and ended up going with 180 E-Tips because they worked very well. The 200 AB's worked well also.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try 0.010" off. I'll probably test a bit of a range again and potentially just load two at each COL. If two won't group, three shots won't make the group smaller. :D

Yes, Forster dies and other equipment that loads 210gr Berger VLD's good for 1/2 MOA and better.

I'll let you know!

I shoot 180's ~ 0.015 off of the lands in my .300WM Sako TRG. Holes touch at 100 yards with 5 different loads.

Don't forget, if you are seating closer, I would back off my charge, and work up. I like to start load testing with bullets close, and see what max charge will do there and then increase jump from that point. All of this assuming you do not have magazine constraints.

I seat mine to fit in the magazine, which leaves me .145 off the lands. Amazingly they shoot just as well with that big of a jump as they did .010 off the lands. Seem to be a very forgiving bullet.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.