200gr 7mm wildcat...

sure shot

Will these stabilize in my factory 9.25 twist 24'bbl? If so will the 7 Rem mag with a stiff dose of R25 be able to push them fast enough to be effective or should I not waste my money and stay with the 175's?

I'm going to be swapping the bbl some time soon and want to shoot 150's on up to the big 200gr what would be the best twist for that range? I would also like to step up in case capacity too but don't want to go to a ultra size case as I all ready have a 300 rum. There really is not a lot to choose from in between 7 rem mag and 7STW. Any thoughts.

Tommy, I have just recently started playing with these in my 7mm ultra mag. Most likely, your 9.25 twist will not adequetly stabilize this bullet. Also with a 24" tube, velocities would be disappointing. I would stick with the 175's until you change barrels. Then twist with a 1/8 or better yet, 1/7. The 7 stw is a great round, but I would not write off the 7mm Ultra just because you have a 300 ultra. For the 200's, you really need a large case to get good velocity. As far as one twist to cover from 150's to 200's, there really isn't one. The rule of thumb is to twist for the heaviest bullet you plan to shoot and then test and see if it shoots the lighter weights. Good luck

257 I figured the velocities would be disappointing with the 24' tube in 7 mag. Are you using a 7 twist in your ultra? I've been shooting mostly 162gr Amax's and 175gr SMK's. I must say I'm very happy with the amax it has been a dam good performer in my gun but would like a tougher bullet with the BC of the amax or better. As soon as I pay off my x-mas visa bills I will be getting a hold of Kirby to true up my M700 action and install that fluted Lilja BBL. I can't seem to make up my mind on what cal I'm going to roll with? I originally was going to go with a 338 but have decided its a bit much for what i want the gun for. Thanks for the reply.

Tommy,

Have you looked here: LRH Link

I was toying with either the 270AM or 7mmAM but went with neither. But if it doesn't work out I'll go with the 7mmAM. But, I'm figuring that it will pan out.

I already have a 338 which is a bit large but will kill anything the 270AM or 7mmAM will but just doesn't have the flatness/accuracy or range of Kirby's creations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If I end up w/a 7mmAM then I have no need for the 338. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tommy B:

Like 257 said, don't waste your time or money trying the 200s in your current barrel. You could probably get them to work under specific conditions and at short ranges, but if the 175s are working then I suggest you stick with them until you re-barrel.

Talk to Kirby when you decide, but if you plan on going with a 7mm and you want to use the 200s I'd suggest you seriously look at the 7mm AM. Kirby can fill you in on all of the details and what would be needed. My thoughts would be that if you are going to try and launch the big 200s as best you can, and take advantage of the BC and weight at extended ranges then the AM, to my way of thinking, is the way to go. This is not to say that a RUM etc. would not work, it's just that if you are going to go with the best combo for long range shooting, with the 200's, then I feel the AM and it's case quality and capacity is the way to go. I know you said you don't want to go with an ultra sized case but the 7mm AM, in a properly weighted and braked gun, is a ***** cat to shoot and the result down range is something you have to experience.

One of the things I like best about the AM is the fact that it uses Lapua brass, which some people think is the best brass available. It's really a piece of cake to prep them for fire forming and the fire forming loads with the 200 grain Wildcats will kill anything you point them at and are great for long range practice. I've used the fire form loads this past hunting season out to just shy of 1500 yards and also took a deer and an elk at pretty decent range with them.

You talked about shooting 150-200 grain bullets, but I think you will find, for serious long range shooting, the heavier 200s will do anything you want, and will do it better than a lighter bullet, at long range.

Like I said, talk to Kirby and he can go over with you every case, barrel, cartridge combo there is and then you can make your decision. I do believe, that if you ever get a round that launches the big 200s at top velocities, you won't ever regret it. Have fun making your decisions and good luck with your upcoming project.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.