2008 Polaris Ranger 700XP Underpowered

DesertBoy

Came across a really good deal on one of these, it is a 4 seater, low hours and miles. Wondering if anyone has had four adults in one of these(with a 700), and how it responds with power and suspension clearance. It is completely stock. Not looking to win any races, however I cover a lot of country in AZ, from desert to the pines. Rocky/steep two tracks are the norm.

My friend has a Polaris Ranger 700cc or 800cc that will hold 6. We used it up in Colorado to carry 4 guys, each of us over 200lbs, our packs, and rifles. We were at 10,500'-11,000' elevation. To say that it was under powered was an understatement. On our way to the hunting area it struggled to get up the hill and actually started to slow down to the point that I took my seat belt off and opened the netting/door ready to bail out. When we shot the Elk he hauled it and one other guy back to camp and then came back to get us so he didn't burn up the belt.
After that hunting trip he said he wouldn't want to have more than 1 other hunter at that elevation again.
He was looking at buying a 1000cc Ranger XP or a General but he never got around to doing it.
I know it made me pass on the Ranger that I was looking at because it wasn't a 1000cc. I ended up with a Turbo RZR and have way more power than I need. No one will be looking to bail out of my machine when the terrain starts to get steep.

Recent Posts