2005 Whitetail and Antelope

william101

Well another hunting season draws to a close:( ,Owell its been a great one! Shot my Antelope south of Malta Montana,hes around 15 1/2 inches and pretty heavy,not at very long rang,but very much running at about 175 yrds broadside,hit him a little further back then I wanted,but the 168 grn SMK served me well from my much cherished Remington M24 .308!!I love this weapon.My whitetail not much further,at 240 yards and dogging a doe proved to be a frustrating target to hit.Smacked him high in the shoulder,went down like a ton of bricks,he has about a 3-4 inch drop tine on him,nice mature buck,I was very happy with him.Ran into elk 4 times!all were cows!! in a branched antler area only!! was trying my best to grow antlers on them.Anyways just thought I would share some pics with everyone.Hope everyone else had a great season as well! [/list] [image]
104_0433_1.jpg
[/image] [image]
104_0426big_1.jpg
[/image] [image]
ss_1.jpg
[/image]

I almost forgot my Dads 4x5 whitetail which im posing with,and to my left is a big bruiser that my cousin shot with his 25-06,and no thats not him in back of it thats my nephew who is 11,he'll be hunting next season.My uncle,cousin,and Dad shot all these bucks with the exception of mine,all within 3 days in which I believe the peak of the rut occured in or roughly around 17th of November,we saw tons of buck activity during this time. [/list] [image]
104_0404_1.jpg
[/image]

All I can say is WOW! I'm very impressed. Those game animals are most impressive!

Congratulations to you.

Thanks Derek,it definately was an exceptional season,the Montana fish and game reported a little bit lower whitetail averages this season but the quality and size of bucks this year were way above average.We saw the majority of bucks and activity it seems from around the 13th through the 17th of november at least in our hunting area.How did you fare this year?Man you guys have some big whitetails from your neck of the woods in Ohio!

Yes, we have extraordinary bucks here in Ohio. That is what happens when a state allows only 1 buck per hunter per season.

The Xenia buck was taken about 20 minutes from my house. Heard of that one right? The cover photo on this seasons proclamation has a monster typical on it. But, that is also why I like to hunt other states, I like to take MORE than one buck per year if I can.

So far, all I've done is a WY antelope and a Colorado mulie, with a few KY and OH whitetail Does. Heading out today as it is very cold and will be all week. In fact, I just returned from a conference yesterday in CO Springs, on my lunch, went to check out any activity at one of my urban stand sites. Big Doe bedded under my stand. Went back to truck, got bow and one arrow, strapped on release, and the rest is history.

My 2005 whitetail

deerrifle.jpg

Not long range, I am new to that and just lurking so to speak.

deer4.jpg

Took this one at a measly 150 yards. Which got the job done. The rifle is a Model 70 in .270 WSM. I am using 130gr Barnes TSXs pushed by 66.7 grains of R19. Somewhere north of 3300FPS. I want to get into long range shooting but finding a range has been a problem here in SC. The beanfields are long but shoot ranges are short. Therefore my personal limit is 300 yards right now. The rifle is sub MOA with my load but the shooter is not. I need more practice so I can reach the other side of the beanfield with confidence. My next purchase will be a LRF and some more time behind the bolt.

[ QUOTE ]
My 2005 whitetail

deerrifle.jpg

Not long range, I am new to that and just lurking so to speak.

deer4.jpg

Took this one at a measly 150 yards. Which got the job done. The rifle is a Model 70 in .270 WSM. I am using 130gr Barnes TSXs pushed by 66.7 grains of R19. Somewhere north of 3300FPS. I want to get into long range shooting but finding a range has been a problem here in SC. The beanfields are long but shoot ranges are short. Therefore my personal limit is 300 yards right now. The rifle is sub MOA with my load but the shooter is not. I need more practice so I can reach the other side of the beanfield with confidence. My next purchase will be a LRF and some more time behind the bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent bullet choice! Nice buck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you guys live around Malta? I have been hunting about15 miles northwest of Glasgow. We took 4 nice whitetails this year between the 15 and the 21 of November. I live in Pa. but love your neck of the woods. I may try for a Mulie next year if I am lucky enough to draw. By the way, Great bucks and congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a southern deer. Nice rifle, nice buck. Congratulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good eye, Sumter SC Swamp deer at that.

Hey Samson,,I live about 7-8 hours from Malta,I live in Northwestern Montana,about 30 miles from Glacier National Park.Keep applying for permit .you will get it!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.