2000 yrds! Thats old news!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 300WSMMAD, May 13, 2010.

1. 300WSMMAD

300WSMMAD Well-Known Member

2. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Wow. Thats pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Great post !!!
    Does anyone know when the creedmoor matches started and any info on them.

They were 2000 yards and I think the Brits started them using the 303.

Very interesting.

J E CUSTOM

4. Alfred Crouch

Alfred Crouch Well-Known Member

Very intersting. Thanks for sharing.

5. Oliveralan

Oliveralan Well-Known Member

Good post. Interesting read. 2000yards in 1865-1866, wow!!

6. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Found this pic. It doesn't have the optics, but may be the basic rifle. (devils advocate) Don't believe it! There is no way that a muzzle loading rifle can be accurate enough to hit a target the size of a train car. If new ammo isn't capable there is no way that, that makes any sense. :Dgun)Just kidding, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy muzzle loading rifles. I think they are a lot of fun.

Gibbs-Metford Rifle

Tank

7. zupatun

zupatun Well-Known Member

Put it into JBM with a muzzle velocity of 1473 ft/s, caliber of 0.451, bullet BC of .443, 700gr, and elevation of 5.3 deg.

Speed at 200 yards was around 660fps...640ft/lb of energy and it takes a little over 7 seconds to travel...

Plausible...sounds fun.

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

I've seen that rifle before . Remington makes it :D HA HA just playing
    liltank is that the same one that was used in the movie called Quigley . I really like those rifles to but i've never had the chance to shoot one with the big elevation sights have you?

Bigbuck

9. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Bigbuck, the Quigly rifle is a 1874 Sharps. Very nice rifle, we shoot a couple Sharps a few Remington rolling blocks and a Hi-wall a few times a month and in comps. You will learn what wind drift and spin drift is when shooting out at 1000+ yrds with these, rule of thumb is 1 moa per 1 mph of wind and we get 3.5 moa of spin drift.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  10. bigbuck

Thanks bigngreen am I remembering correctly that the movie was Quigley I think the actors name was Tom he was kicking up a bucket at what looked like a 1000 or 1200 yrds . I know it's just holly wood but I really enjoyed it:)

How much does one of those rifles cost ? and what about ammo or do you guys hand load ?

11. bigbuck

bigngreen thats it i'm moving to MT yall have bear, deer, elk antelope and the list goes on not to mention a rifle company that makes quigley's ! I just thought i lived in god's country LOL

I seen the one I want it's the buffalo sharps rifle "THE QUIGLEY" it was around $3,700 OUCH ... with the mucsic they had going, on the website they could have charged whatever price they wanted :D i think i'll try to save that to my ring tone! HEE HEE

BigBuck