2000 yrds! Thats old news!

Great post !!!
Does anyone know when the creedmoor matches started and any info on them.

They were 2000 yards and I think the Brits started them using the 303.

Very interesting.

J E CUSTOM

Found this pic. It doesn't have the optics, but may be the basic rifle. (devils advocate) Don't believe it! There is no way that a muzzle loading rifle can be accurate enough to hit a target the size of a train car. If new ammo isn't capable there is no way that, that makes any sense. :Dgun)Just kidding, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy muzzle loading rifles. I think they are a lot of fun.

Gibbs-Metford Rifle

Tank

Put it into JBM with a muzzle velocity of 1473 ft/s, caliber of 0.451, bullet BC of .443, 700gr, and elevation of 5.3 deg.

Speed at 200 yards was around 660fps...640ft/lb of energy and it takes a little over 7 seconds to travel...

Plausible...sounds fun.

Found this pic. It doesn't have the optics, but may be the basic rifle. (devils advocate) Don't believe it! There is no way that a muzzle loading rifle can be accurate enough to hit a target the size of a train car. If new ammo isn't capable there is no way that, that makes any sense. :Dgun)Just kidding, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy muzzle loading rifles. I think they are a lot of fun.

Gibbs-Metford Rifle

Tank

I've seen that rifle before . Remington makes it :D HA HA just playing
liltank is that the same one that was used in the movie called Quigley . I really like those rifles to but i've never had the chance to shoot one with the big elevation sights have you?

Bigbuck

Bigbuck, the Quigly rifle is a 1874 Sharps. Very nice rifle, we shoot a couple Sharps a few Remington rolling blocks and a Hi-wall a few times a month and in comps. You will learn what wind drift and spin drift is when shooting out at 1000+ yrds with these, rule of thumb is 1 moa per 1 mph of wind and we get 3.5 moa of spin drift.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/

Last edited:
Bigbuck, the Quigly rifle is a 1874 Sharps. Very nice rifle, we shoot a couple Sharps a few Remington rolling blocks and a Hi-wall a few times a month and in comps. You will learn what wind drift and spin drift is when shooting out at 1000+ yrds with these, rule of thumb is 1 moa per 1 mph of wind and we get 3.5 moa of spin drift.

Thanks bigngreen am I remembering correctly that the movie was Quigley I think the actors name was Tom he was kicking up a bucket at what looked like a 1000 or 1200 yrds . I know it's just holly wood but I really enjoyed it:)

How much does one of those rifles cost ? and what about ammo or do you guys hand load ?

bigngreen thats it i'm moving to MT yall have bear, deer, elk antelope and the list goes on not to mention a rifle company that makes quigley's ! I just thought i lived in god's country LOL

I seen the one I want it's the buffalo sharps rifle "THE QUIGLEY" it was around $3,700 OUCH ... with the mucsic they had going, on the website they could have charged whatever price they wanted :D i think i'll try to save that to my ring tone! HEE HEE

BigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.