200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

Dave Wilson:

Please don't take what I said about increased torque as being something drastically different.

When you are used to a gun and have been shooting lighter bullets you develop a certain way of getting the shot off. With the lighter loads in my 7mm I tend to make sure it's firmly into my shoulder but only touch the gun with my right hand. Most of the time it's a very relaxed right hand and not a "death grip".

With the first shots using the 200 grain Wildcats and my normal holding form I noticed the additional torque. It's not a biggie and in fact Kirby has mentioned in another post about noticing the same thing.

It just simply means you adjust your shooting form and compensate and then they launch just like the lighter pills. By the time I was done with the ladder test it was just second nature to shoot it slightly different with the heavier bullets.

I doubt that the difference in the new 7mm Allen Magnum will be much too worry about because the new stock is a far better design and the overall weight will be more, so I don't think the torque of the 200's at 3200 fps + will amount to much at all.

Did you get any mail?

WC872 This is just a question. Could that slow of powder be too slow? I only have a Wild cat 7mm STW with 28 inch barrel. But my case capacity is substantially larger than a 7mm W. and I have never found anything slower than R-25 or H-1000 to work very well. You just can't put enough powder in the case with powders like H-870 and get max speedor accuracy
I have not tried a 200 either just my normal 175's

budlight:

Yes I'll admit that it may not be the optimum powder but I just got 32 pounds in from Jeff Bartlett and wanted to try it out. The 200's aren't really for this gun, they are for the 7mm Allen Magnum being built and I am just playing around to see what will work.

Actually if you run the numbers and combo's in QL the powder does pretty good. You never know for sure if something will work unless you try it, and to keep from thinking about the new gun coming I am trying the Wildcats and WC872 in the little 7, and so far it's been interesting.

I know for sure that I'm limited by case capacity, but having the powder, bullets and gun combination around and not trying it would drive me crazy. It won't be too long and I won't be limited by case capacity any more.

I still have the 169.5 Wildcat loads that I know work excellent in this gun and they will be the normal diet for the little 7. The 200's are going to be for the 7mm AM.

Dick,i got mail! thanks again.now i'm anxious to get something to shoot them in.glad to hear the torque is just noticable.by the way,what exactly is the "little" 7 ?

Dave:

My "little 7" is a 7mm Weatherby. It's gonna get retired in the near future as soon as the new 7mm Allen Magnum arrives.

The wait wouldn't be near as long if manufacturers would produce their products within the time stated. Kirby is waiting on parts that should have been here way before now, but what can you do. If you want what they produce, you wait.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually if you run the numbers and combo's in QL the powder does pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just got QL a couple months ago and it doesn't have WC872. Does yours or are you using H870 for data?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts