20 moa base question

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by KurtB, Mar 25, 2013.

1. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Okay guys, riddle me this one please. If I put a 20 moa base on a rig of mine can I expect differences in long range turret dialing? Specifically it seems to me that having a 20 moa base will of course yield longer range shooting capability, but it seems that it would impact the amount of travel per click versus a scope that is parallel to the bore. Overthinking it or does a ballistic software package take that into account? Did not see it on JBM. Thank you

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

You are indeed over thinking it. It does not affect click value. It does however allow you to use more of the elevation adjustment built into your scope, that is located "below your zero" if you will.

Jeff

3. joseph floerke

joseph floerke Well-Known Member

this i have a 20 on my .308 but if you get a base that is to big your zero will be at like 500 yds i am putting a 40moa on my 338lapua and i should be fine but some of the guys over seas have 50s and 60s on there sniper rifles for those extream long world records shots we hear about.

4. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the confirmation. Thinking a 20 moa should work fine.

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Just check the specs on the scope you are using. If it has more than 40 moa total elevation adjustment you will be fine.

Jeff