20 Br with 55 gr bergers? or 22/243???

Here's what my 22-243AI was capable of. Velocity was 3,668 ft/sec.

7247600yd_group2.JPG

724720_groundhogs.jpg

Only a word... FANTASTIC!!
What are the details of you rifle.... I don't know if I have ever seen a 600 yd group the size of a dime.

I have a 1-7, 22-243.
I shoot 90 Bergers at 31-3200 with H1000.
I have recently tried Retumbo & got 33-3400 but had issues with projectiles flying to bits.
It shoots fantasic & when you run the numbers it is very impressive.
I have shot it out to 1100 yards on steel & 900 on Rabbits :cool:
I have considered a 20 BR or PPC & the heavy Bergers :)

Only a word... FANTASTIC!!
What are the details of you rifle.... I don't know if I have ever seen a 600 yd group the size of a dime.

That rifle began life as an out-of-the-box Rem 40XB in 22-250. Currently the only remaining original part is the receiver. She currently wears a #7 Hart bbl, Holland recoil lug and Jewell trigger, all of which are all nestled into the McMillan Hunter/Benchrest stock.

Sitting atop of the rifle has been a Nightforce 12x42-56mm or a Leupold 12x25-50mm LR scope.

With regard to the dime size group @ 600yds - Well......as much as I'd like to say that the group is typical of the rifles accuracy, it was actually the best group I've ever fired with any rifle and would not be "typical". The rifle does shoot groups between .25moa and .5moa most of the time and is devastating on groundhogs.

VH- a group most guys would be happy with at 100 yds shot at 600! VEDDY VEDDY NICE!!

Ok,
Since I already own a 22-6mm the shoots heavy 22s, the 243 AI is covered, as is 6.5 and 7, the only direction I can see to go id 20 cal for something new. After having experience with 17s I really don't think I want to go back there...Royal pain to load and clean.
How is the cleaning of a 20? The hand loading?
I would guess it's like my other BR... EASY
I'm leaning on 55 gr Bergers with the BR case... That said I own a 22 BR as well...shooting 52s @ 3700 FPs in a big heavy bench gun.
I might need to have someone else prep cases, as after the 22BR I know first hand how time consuming it can be with a hand turner, especially if I opt for a tight neck.
Any Ideas???
Thanksgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.