20 Br with 55 gr bergers? or 22/243???

Terry Scott

Ok Guys I need a little input, I already own a 240 AI, a 260 AI and a 7mm LRM
I love them all. They are all set up for long distance.
I am looking for a new project.......:)
Considering a 20 BR set up to shoot Bergers 55 gr or a heavier .20 bullet.
BCs for the berger are in the high 3s and it looks like I can get them to around 3700fps. And I understand it has decent barrel life, as well as being a BR case is very accurate. The ballistis actually look fairly impressive even at 1000 yds for such a small bullet. out to 800 for sure.
Or I could go to something like a 22-243 and try to get the 70 ish grain bullets to shoot. since I already have the 243 there is no reason to shoot real heay 22s... I have owned one, set up for shooting the 50-55 gr bullets they are truly impressive, but alas barrel life was pretty short.
Since I love to shoot things far away (300-1000yds) Does anyone think this is feasible? Ive got a Stiller action on the way, but thought I would see what I could dig up for ideas before ordering a barrel.
Obviously I won't be killing anything bigger than a Coyote, or a metal gong,
and I want to have fun here, so I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.:D
Thanks
gun)

I wouldn't really consider the 20 BR a longrange cartridge. On the other hand, the 22-243 with an 8 twist will easily take you out to 1,000yds. An 80gr .224 bullet will have a much better BC than a .243 80gr bullet of similar design. The 22-243 with a fast twist barrel is no slouch. Barrel life is probably better than most shooters think providing that you don't shoot it hot and keep the bore reasonably clean. I put over 1,000 rounds through my 22-243AI and it still shot tight groups. Eventually I set the barrel back and started all over again. I dropped 5 bullets into about 1.25" @ 300 yds the other day so I think she's got plenty of life yet.

+1 on 22-243
22-243
RBros signature action ( Defiance )
Jewell 1.5 oz
Broughton 26" 8 twist 7 contour
HS Stock
NFX 5.5x22 Npr1 zero stop
75 A-max 3500 fps shoots in the 3's and smaller at times

Mike

I say go for the .20 BR. You'll be suprised at how well the 55 gr .20 bullet will carry at long range. I have a .20 SPC (6.8 SPC necked down) in an AR15 that hits a 700 yard steel everytime, and it does a number on coyotes!:D

But if you want a 22 cal cartridge - look at the 22-284................

Another vote for the 22-243, that is a VERY popular coyote wacker 'round these parts, most guys are using the 75 & 80 grn A-Max @ ~3500fps. Flat shooting is an understatement... I just had my 22-250 re-chambered for 22-243 (so the heavy bullets are out for me) but, I tell you what, I sure would like to see what a 40 Blitzking @ 4700 would do to a coyote!

Thanks everyone.... I really appreciate the input.:) Pretty one sided support, is there anyone shooting the 20s that can come up with another side of the story here? ( I already have a 22 -6mm twisted for lighter bullet)
Also I will run the ballistics, does everyone that shoots a 22-243 think I can run 3500 fps with a 75 or 80 gr bullet? If so what loads are you using with barrel combination? Bergers? Amax?

That Depends,
Barrels, and Chambering, Pac Nor, or Gunwerks. Metal, triggers paint and Stock work a friend of mine and I do together. We have put together some pretty cool long rang rifles. Do you get to the Palamino Range much?

This year i have been out there like 5 times, but it was only because I bought a new rifle and really wanted to dial it in on cement benches with a Led Sled. 26 inch 243 rem SPS varmint rifle

Out in the hills we have out metal targets out to 600.

What I need done is a 270 custom with a new 26 inch. Like a heavy sporter.

I beg to differ or argue.....The 20BR with 55's is the much better/funner choice. :D

I honestly think the "neigh sayers" have NO experience with the combo, and one would naturally think that the .20 caliber would take back seat. That may be the case with a 39 grain bullet...........but DEFINITELY NOT with the 55's!!

The 20BR just begs for a 55'er!!

I have a lot of experience with the combo, from targets to coyotes and would be happy to talk to you.

Just took second place in a "Steel Hunting" type shoot that included prairie dogs, ravens, coyotes, foxes....from 275 yards out to 900+ with 12 mph winds. I was the only .20 caliber shooter on the line. Most were shooting bigger boomers.....

I love the combination so much that I just sent parts to the gunsmith for a more "custom" build.

One caliber you might want to consider as well is the 20X47. Although I prefer the 20BR, the 20X47 will feed better....if that is an issue with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.