2 unexpected coyotes!!

remingtonman_25_06

I went out shooting yesterday with a friend to do some longer range practice on the gongs 400-800. Since my shooting spot is in the middle of sagebrush ground, theres always the chance of running into a coyote. This has happened to me before, not having a gun out and ready and we see a coyote. Well, since then I'd like to think I've got a little smarter and everytime I go shoot, I keep at least 1 of the rifles up front with me. Looks like it finaly paid off yesterday. Just as we were cresting over the hill, I spotted a yote jump out of some thick sagebrush/cover. I didn't see the other as I was locked on the one I seen first. I happned to have my .222 out with the new 55g NBT loads I worked up couple weeks ago. My coyote did the famous stop and look only to have me send one of those little 55g NBT right smack into his shoulder. He folded at the shot. Right after I shoot, I hear my buddies 30-06 blast off and see his coyote rolling. His was 198 yards on a dead run, shot with a 180g AB. We were pretty stoked. Getting 2 coyotes and not even planning on it was definately the highlight of the day. The little 55g NBT left a hellacious exit hole about 3" long and 2"wide. I think they'll work for yotes alright!!

Heres me with the 222 coyote. I took the vx3 6.5-20x50 off the 7 mag and put on the 222 so I can dial out to 400 yards or so.

3zjnhqu.jpg

Heres my buddy and his 30-06 coyote.

2hz5pqu.jpg

Very nice.

I'm green with envy, all our ground is white and our water is too!

I can't wait til spring!!!!

don

The 25 was in the case in the back of the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif! I'm actually glad thats where it was to. I just zeroed my 25 last week at 200 yards when it was about 25-30 degrees. When I shot it yesterday about 60 degrees, it was 5-6" high at 200, so I would have shot wayyy over that yote, I would have been so ****ed. I dont get how theres that much difference in the weather to make my 25 be so far off. It had me stumped. I got her sighted back in at 200, but who knows how long that will last. My 25 has been giving me headache for the last couple months. Trying to find a good consistent load, and keeping it zeroed is starting to agitate me a bit. I dont know what the deal is, but I'm gettin sick of it. Every time I go out and shoot, my 25 isn't on. Not that it doesn't shoot decent groups, just not where there suppose to be going.

Thanks guys. Hey when theres snow on the ground, thats prime time to be out looking for yotes! We get snow here maybe 1 or 2 times a year, and it doesn't stay for long, usually till noon or so, ha ha. **** desert anyways...

Now those guys on Coyote Gods might get a little mad at ya'll!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thought coyotes could only be popped by 17 cals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good shootin guys

steve

Lerch,
I couldn't agree more w/ ya!! I've trapsed over there to the Coyote Gods forum a couple of times thinking I might learn something new, being a new yote' hunter. Talk about narrowed minded people, I don't think I've ever been so dejected and put down bacause I don't own a 17 Rem.. I own a 17HMR, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem., 6mm Rem. and a 6br for my "varmint" battery. Pretty good array of varmint rifles to choose from if you ask me, especially my custom 22-250 that I had built just for calling coyotes!! Let's just say I haven't frequented that site since. I felt that I should have just trashed my battery and bought a 17 Rem. and asked for their permission to use it. Different mentality!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I've composed my feelings thus far:
(A Coyote Poem)

I shoot yotes so they will die,
If I can, I shoot them in the eye,
Sometimes I shoot them in the grass,
Sometimes I shoot them in the @$$,

They spin and swirl and jump around,
But sometimes they just hit the ground,
I call them in with screams of terror,
sounding like a dying hare (or)....

Maybe I'll sit still you see,
Looking like a bush or tree,
Then thinking they've just found a meal,
They're last thought is, "Hey! what's the deal?"

They're brains are spewn among the brush,
The purpose? Just for me a rush,
I don't care if they're hide is mange,
I leave them rotting on the range,

Back to nature, the way they should,
But not the ears, they're too good,
Those things can be turned into cash,
In my freezer there's a stash,

When the price is right I'll cash them out,
Stuff my wallet without a doubt,
Hope I'll find the biggest bounty,
Searching for a generous county,

When greenies cry about motherless pups,
Fear not, we'll shoot them too,
It don't rhyme, but hey...
It's what we do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

25-06, I hate you. You can kill a yote with almost anything and I am over here almost having to use a fifty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh well keep up the good work.

Exhaust3, I think you just made my favorite poem up to date. beautiful. I'll have to show it to a few friends if you dont mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

R--man 25-06 ,

Man you're a go-getter !!
Keeping a gun at hand is something i started doing a long time ago.
I have a cz 221 fireball -i keep three rounds in the magazine in hand and ready.
I have a couple of rifles that won't stay zeroed ? why i don't know -BUT the ones [3] w/hs precision stocks stay dead on..
Great shot by your bud also !

Exhaust3 ,

I'm speechless -- that is a beautiful poem -i never took much of a shine to poems but now that has changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

lerch- Yah 17 rem mighta been able to take em. I wouldn't mind owning one and seeing for myself how they do on coyotes, but personally I'd like to use something heavier then 20-25g on coyotes. They can be tough little bastards and using a bullet thats half the size of my pinky nail doesn't really enthuse me. They kinda just seem to have 1 purpose as well. I like to have multiple uses for any given rifle. Just my opinion though.

Exhaust3- The guys from coyotegods need to get a life. I was wanting to learn about calling coyotes and got the whole speel about, well everything from using big rifles, to callin em yotes. Who cares for goodness sakes, there a freaking COYOTE! Your poem is hilarious. I think I'm going to make a copy of it and put it next to my coyote poster that I keep tally marks on. That was #67, I'd like to get around 400-500 before the day I die. It might, or might not happen, either way, I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying!!

screech- Ha ha, I instantly thought of you for some reason after shooting this yote with the 222. Ha ha, its hilarious. I still think somethings in your water up there to make em that tough. One day we'll have to get together and see if we cant harass them a little bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You into calling coyotes much??

Ol' Mike- Hey I try! I've been told that once or twice before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Yep, carrying a rifle is a smart thing to do at all times, never know when your gonna run into something. It always seems like you see something, or have an easy shot when you dont ahve the rifle with ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm gonna have to look into the problem of my 25 not staying zeroe'd. Hopefully its just a minor problem. I'd like to get a couple of those HS precision stocks...Would bedding have anythign to do with shifting like that?? My rifles aren't fully floated or bedded for that matter. Never knew it would make that much difference at 200 yards though..My friend is a decent shot for not shooting a whole lot. Hes in the process right now of getting a custom 25-06 with lilja, mcmillan, etc..per my recomendation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, thanks for the info on the 25-06, I got her wrote down and will load up a small ladder and see how she fares with 100g NBT and IMR-4831 w/Win LR primer if I can ever find them!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.