2 sets of rings on a 338/408i? Seekins or NF?

joshua99ta

Guys I ordered my atacr for my eddybo mag last week and it arrived today(unfortunately im in the gulf of mexico on an oil rig right now so I can even look at it)

I gotta order some rings. I know I've seen some pics of the Allen Mags and other larger cased rounds running 2 sets of rings. I'm not sure if I really need 2 sets. This rifle really has very little recoil, it weighs in at about 19lbs w/out optic.

I'm thinking about trying seekins rings out. I love the seekins stuff but I know NF has a name for a reason. I'm not worried about the price difference I just wanna know what I buy will hold up.

I'm thinking about ordering 2 different heights just to make sure I get the right stuff. Its killing me that I can't take any measurements to see what Im gunna need.

whatcha fellas think? 2 sets or 1 set?

I believe NF now makes a heavy duty 3 screw model.As do others. I also like Seeking little sleeker without the 1/2'' nut.For some reason I like the NF ultrlight,they have tit. cross bar.They hold on my 7# braked 338 Norma.

I've seen photos of three rings on a single scope. I would not recommend it. I don't think manufacturers designed the rings to be used that way. I'm not convinced that manufacturing tolerances in most rings are less than 0.0005" for saddle location, which would be necessary to avoid stress in the scope tube.

If you're really concerned about your scope slipping in the rings, I suggest that you try RingTrue tape before resorting to three or four rings. I'm using it to hold a heavy 34 mm tube scope on a 50 BMG ballistic test rifle shooting 750-1,000 grain rounds. No slipping and no marks on the scope tube. This scope is in Seekins rings, which is one of my go to rings for tactical rifles.
http://www.highpoweroptics.com/ringtrue™-tape-three-scopes-p-24944.html

Check out the Near alphamount at Near Manufacturing its a 3 ring mount its one piece and you can mount it on a rail its pricy at 325.00. I don't think you could find something that will stand up to recoil better. If he makes one to fit your action it would be a good choice.

After a couple of bad experiences with some of the more common set ups I stopped worrying about spending a few hundred to mount on higher end guns and custom rigs.

I have the nightforce ultralights on my 300 win with a near rail that works really well and have heard good things about seekins precision.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts