2 for 2 in less than 3 hours

Shooter264

Well just got back from our annual spot and stock black bear hunt in western Wyoming and came home with two bears. Both were shot with VLD bullets at short range and neither bear went further than 20 yards. Calibers were a 7mm Rem shooting a 168 berger at 3070 and a 6.5x47L shooting a 130 JLK at 3011. I was really impressed with the little 6.5, it is a real fuzzy wuzzy slayer!! The bear shown in the pic by itself is right at 6'6" and the other bear is a 5'6" sow that was hanging out at a trailhead/campground and needed to die. We were able to kill both bears within 3 hours of each other. Nice start to the 2011 hunting season!
bear2-2.jpg

Bear3-3.jpg

Bear4-4.jpg

Nice job! Congrats on a great hunt! That 6'6" bear would be pretty large for the area I live in, how does he measure up for bears in your area? Also thanks for posting the velocities and bullet info. Nice to see your results with the Berger VLD's mirrors mine. I took mine with a 210 in a 300wm @ 2995 fps. Shot was 378 yards and th bear traveled maybe 30'. Complete pass through with a nice 1 1/2 to 2" exit.

Anyway! Here's to a good start for 2011!

Jeff

Yes 6'6" is a very good bear for our area. I Killed a bear that squared 6'8" in 2007 and my brother in law killed one that was around 6'10" last year. It doesn't happen often but we kill some pretty nice bears around here. I had been watching the bear I killed for a couple of nights and took a bunch of pictures through my spotting scope of a couple cow elk running it off as they had just had calves and he was trying to get to the new calves. We have enough problems with the Grizzlies and Wolves eating cows/calves that we need to try to control the one thing with Fangs that we can hunt!!

Yes my buddy found out shooting prone uphill with a 7mm doesn't always work out for the best!!

LOL, tell him welcome to the club. I took a 5x5 wt buck after crawling down a creek and peaking up over the bank with my 7 mag. My form was bad but the shot was good. I still have the scar.:D

Jeff

Both were shot with VLD bullets at short range.........Calibers were a 7mm Rem shooting a 168 berger at 3070 and a 6.5x47L shooting a 130 JLK at 3011.

ahem...you do realize that the "rule" is that fast bullets at close range simply don't work right? Especially all the hype about 7mags. You sure those bears are dead? :D

sarcasm off:

congratulations! I've killed a LOT of game with 140/150 btips with my 7mag and the bulk of those shots were bow ranges. No problems!

Nice Bears! Anything over 6" is a really nice bear. Good to hear about the burgers working at close range. Ive been thinking about making the switch to them with my .338 RUM.

Double headers are always fun! Congrats!

Congrats, Super Nice Bears! It is a nice way to start the spring. I was luck enough to get a swamp bird in Ocala and then 2 easterns here at home in KY. Then I got my 2 bears and my wolf last month in May. Now on to antelopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.