1st time Wyoming hunt

chclayto814

Hey all I am from Northwest Iowa and planning a Wyoming hunting/fishing trip. the area we are setting up camp is Elk area 33. The Camp is in the Ed o Taylor BLM land. I am in fairly good shape so I think I could cover some miles if I have to. This is my first trip to WY, and I would like an Elk tag but there pricy for my first time out. I thought I would maybe Antelope hunt Or get a Deer tag. If anyone knows this area and knows the species populations. I would really appreciate any feed back you can give me. I would also like to say that I am not as much a trophy hunter as a Meat hunter. So any tips about what I should try for, or any tips as to how I should go about hunting any animal would be awesome. Thanks!

Last edited:
The best thing that you can do is to start talking to biologists and wardens in the area that you are interested in. Also, get on the Wyoming Game and Fish website and read all the info that you can find on it.

That will give you an idea if you want that area and what to expect.

I agree with sbhooper, contact the game warden, biologist or USFS office for that area and they can all give you a ton of info. That's what I did last year and felt overwhelmed with the info I got and once on the ground it wasn't as difficult as I thought. The 'huntinggpsmaps' are worth their weight in gold for hunting in Wyoming, only available with Garmin GPS units.
The biggest problem you might run into trying to Elk, Antelope?Deer hunt together is hoping the seasons overlap or start/end near each other. Area 33 Elk looks to be the same as area 21 for Antelope.

I agree with sbhooper, contact the game warden, biologist or USFS office for that area and they can all give you a ton of info. That's what I did last year and felt overwhelmed with the info I got and once on the ground it wasn't as difficult as I thought. The 'huntinggpsmaps' are worth their weight in gold for hunting in Wyoming, only available with Garmin GPS units.
The biggest problem you might run into trying to Elk, Antelope?Deer hunt together is hoping the seasons overlap or start/end near each other. Area 33 Elk looks to be the same as area 21 for Antelope.

Hey guys thanks I really do appreciate the help! I have been on the Wyoming Game & fish website a lot and they do have a lot of info. I will have to put together a list of questions and info I need and give the G&F a call. yeah I think unit 21,33,and 163 for Antelope, Elk, Deer will be the units camp is set up. I wont be able to hunt all three. Probably cow elk, or doe deer and doe antelope. as cow/doe tags are much more affordable/attainable. I will also look into the GPS maps. I am VERY excited to be planning this trip for the 2014 hunting season. This will be a VERY lllloooonnnggg year waiting for that week to come. and deer/antelope season line up they both start Oct 15th and elk starts the Oct 9th. Thanks again for the ideas!!

Look at which Elk tags you can, and can't, draw. Antelope and Deer draws are later in the year, after Elk results are out. You can then adjust accordingly.

I don't know which USFS office oversees the area you are talking about but a woman named Cordie at the Douglas, WY USFS office was very helpful last year when I was going through all of this.
FYI it doesn't hurt to have a paper map on you for if/when your gps doesn't work. I also got online at MY TOPO I think and saved the image of area 30, downloaded it on my phone and was able to zoom in on it if needed. It is literally just an image, doesn't use the phone to navigate on the map.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.