1st Build Input

drenner43

Alright guys I've been on this site for a while reading and learning and I'm thinking hard about starting my first rifle build next year sometime and just want to get a parts list and estimate price list for it so any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

First Off - Caliber
I'm not decided on the caliber, I have 3 thoughts. 300 WM, 338 RUM, or 338-378 Wby Mag. My one restriction is I dont want to have to fireform brass so any wildcats or improved versions are out. I like weatherby's and I like the weatherby cartridges but I dont like the cost of weatherby/norma brass. Is the 338-378 gonna be much gain over the 338 RUM if I do the 338 route?

Second - Components & Cost
Action - 2 Options
- Remington Action
Action - $350
Accurizing Action w/PTG bolt, mini m-16 extractor, extended handle,
fluted bolt - $475
- Stiller Action
Predator or Tac - $950

Recoil Lug
- Lug & Pin/Install - $60

Barrel
- Brux 28" SS Barrel w/ Interupted Fluting - $400
- Install - $225

Trigger
- $150

Stock
- Bobby Hart Accublock Laminated Wood - $300

Muzzle Brake
- Brake and install - $250

Bedding
- $200

Extended Box Mag
- Box/Mag & Install - $450? I'm not sure of the cost of this

Please let me know if I've missed anything I will need for the build as well as estimated cost.

Do my costs look about right?

Any suggestions or changes?

Thanks for the input and help.

You don't say how your going to use it, so I'll generalize about cartridge choice. 338 RUM
has been tough finding brass for a while. Likely to get tougher. The 338-378 is enough more to make it interesting, but for me I' prefer a bit more barrel length, more weight, and I'd have a conversation with myself about barrel life, and did I really need the horsepower. Almost any of the 300 magnums will get it done for you. Consider the 300 RUM and bullets heavier than 200 grains.
The Remington action I've been there done that and question why spend that much money bringing it up to speed. Buy what you need upfront, saves time.
Where you're from, how you're going to use it, who's going to do the work will all play a part.
Have a plan for good optics, good rings and base. Decide early so you can factor the weight
into your plan.
Lots of folks here on the sponsors list, whose sites you really should look at for a complete package.
No expert just making sure you knew somebody heard you.

Why spend this kind of money and worry about the cost of brass? So, Wby/Norma should be a non-issue.

TAC-300 includes the 20MOA rail, but lacks bottom metal. So, you'll definitely need a Wyatts, AI, HS, or something. Plain BDL bottom can be bought for under $100.

Don't forget good rings and optics. ...and, dies, bipod, sling, etc...

shipping and taxes...

Find a good smith from this forum and start working with them to firm up your plan.

-- richard

Surprised you don't have a 338 lapua in your list. Lapua brass is more upfront but will
outlast those other calibers by 3 or 4 times if not loaded with lapua. Not to mention it
is considered by most to add accuracy to a load.

Couple points.

1. Stockys Bobby Hart LR stock does not need $200 bedding. Maybe skim bedding which should be less than $100.. Is it available for a reliable action that will fit a 378? Do not think so, but not sure.

2. Jewell trigger from Larry Scott is $240 shipped or little less. Rifle basix is under $150.

3. Wyatts mag box is $300 retail. Depends on caliber. The question is why go to the expense of a magazine box gun for hunting. go standard bottom metal with maybe extended Wyatts mag box and save $150-200.

4. Forget screwing with a trued 700. Total waste of money to spend $800-900 on an action that is worth $450 tops when you pick it up. Plus it will not be as smooth or reliable as a custom. Go straight to the Defiance, Stiller TAC 30/338 or the Tooley Orion. The Tooley has can be ordered with pinned recoil lug for $25 so total would be $925 and comes with either Sako or M16 extractor of your choice.

5. Muzzle brake_ Holland Radial $125 plus $100 installation.

6. Barrel- Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart or Broughton. Could not go wrong with any of those.

7. Caliber- Brass is the cheapest component so do not let that be the decision maker. What caliber first is the question?

30 or 338?

Right action, standard 338 Lapua or even better for standard 700 footprint is 338 Norma Magnum. Then the 338 Rum IMO

30 Caliber- I would pick the WSM over 300 Win. 2-3x barrel life and same ballistics with bullets up to 210 grain.

If all you are concerned about is "fireforming" then consider a necked down 30-338 Lapua/ 30-338 Norma or the 300 RUM with the new 230 bergers or 225 Hornadys. Simple neck down, load and fire. No fireforming if you keep original case dimensions.

Finally, once you decide order your own reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG!

Here is the Tooley Orion action and Bobby Hart stock.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/6-5x47-tactical-tooley-orian-59941/

Last edited:
I would second the 338 norma. If you go custom action it. Cost you any more. I would throw pierce actions and benchmark barrels in the mix. Pierce actions come with a pinned recoil lug and are ceracoated in many actions and have short turn around times.

For your stock I would look heavily at a fiberglass like mcmillan and manners. You must be hunting some big stuff or they must be very far away to utilize these big 338's. If you look at the 7mm's you can get all you need in performance on game to 1000 and save the cost, recoil and headach of the 338's. But then again why not!

Couple points.

1. Stockys Bobby Hart LR stock does not need $200 bedding. Maybe skim bedding which should be less than $100.. Is it available for a reliable action that will fit a 378? Do not think so, but not sure.

If I went with the Stiller TAC action, I believe it has a Remington 700 footprint doesn't it? Which would then work in this stock.

2. Jewell trigger from Larry Scott is $240 shipped or little less. Rifle basix is under $150.

I know lots of people rave about Jewel triggers. What makes them so much better than some of the other brands? Rifle basic, timney etc.

3. Wyatts mag box is $300 retail. Depends on caliber. The question is why go to the expense of a magazine box gun for hunting. go standard bottom metal with maybe extended Wyatts mag box and save $150-200.

That is a good point, I don't need the magazine, I just wanted the extra length for longer COAL. If I can do that with just the extended mag box that'd be great.

4. Forget screwing with a trued 700. Total waste of money to spend $800-900 on an action that is worth $450 tops when you pick it up. Plus it will not be as smooth or reliable as a custom. Go straight to the Defiance, Stiller TAC 30/338 or the Tooley Orion. The Tooley has can be ordered with pinned recoil lug for $25 so total would be $925 and comes with either Sako or M16 extractor of your choice.

I started out planning the 700 route but the more I've thought about it the more I lean towards the custom action especially since it will be nearly the same money

5. Muzzle brake_ Holland Radial $125 plus $100 installation.

6. Barrel- Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart or Broughton. Could not go wrong with any of those.

7. Caliber- Brass is the cheapest component so do not let that be the decision maker. What caliber first is the question?

30 or 338?

Right action, standard 338 Lapua or even better for standard 700 footprint is 338 Norma Magnum. Then the 338 Rum IMO

30 Caliber- I would pick the WSM over 300 Win. 2-3x barrel life and same ballistics with bullets up to 210 grain.

If all you are concerned about is "fireforming" then consider a necked down 30-338 Lapua/ 30-338 Norma or the 300 RUM with the new 230 bergers or 225 Hornadys. Simple neck down, load and fire. No fireforming if you keep original case dimensions.

Finally, once you decide order your own reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG!

Here is the Tooley Orion action and Bobby Hart stock.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/6-5x47-tactical-tooley-orian-59941/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.