1cm clicks too much for long range hunting??

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 500plus, Apr 3, 2013.

1. 500plus

500plus Member

Hi guys,
    Just bought my first dedicated long range rifle a Steyr Prohunter 300 win mag heavy barrel and a Zeiss 6-24 x 56 fl victory scope and am now wondering if i should have gone with a scope with 1/4" or .5cm clicks? The reason I'm thinking this now is cause I just ran a few mock loads through Stelok ballistic program and noticed that 1 click @ at 500 meters is "2 which seems a lot. Would it be worth getting Zeiss to change the scope to .5 cm per click? Any constructive comments would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

500plus gun)

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

If they could do 1/10 Mil clicks that would be a nasty setup right there. But I'm not sure if they offer 1/10 Mil clicks.

3. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

I think they will be just fine. I think that 1/3 MOA adjustments for a hunting scope would be perfect. Plenty fine of adjustment plus you usually get more elevation per turn that way.

4. rooster721

rooster721 Well-Known Member

1cm click scopes like the Diavaris (that have mil-dot reticles) basically equates to 10clicks per mil (10cm between mil dots)

...unless I'm mistaken, 1cm clicks are the same value as .1mil rad and .1mil rad is standard for military application (snipers/their targets) All that said, I cannot see any reason you need to be concerned about long range hunting*

Vital-zones on game are much bigger (for the most-part) than vital-zones in military scenarios. And like was already mentioned, the coarser clicks get you alot more elevation adjustment... and get you there much faster while dialling (vs say a .5cm click ~ lots more turning)

5. 500plus

500plus Member

:) thanks for the information that's one less thing to worry about.
    Rifle arrives today so looking forward to having a play. Scope should be here by the end of the week. Have new Warne maxima 30m #215 to put on and all new redding dies and WW cases to work with. Am determined to take my time and do things properly this to try and get the most out of this rifle. Cheers

500plus

6. jakelly

jakelly Well-Known Member

1cm / 100m clicks are 1/10 milrad clicks. IIRC the Zeiss clicks are usually half tenth clicks or .5cm / 100m. In any case your scope is an awesome longrange optic.

7. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Unless you are shooting little varmints at long ranges it will be fine... which is why I use MOA and .25 clicks.
    I know, I know, you MIL guys will say not so, but shooting marmots at over 1K, I'll take the finer adjustments.

8. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I think your right. The 6x24 victory zeiss I owned had .5CM/100M clicks. My 4-16 hensoldt has the 1cm clicks as does a the 3-12 HT. I think all of the 6x24s had .5cm, but could be wrong.