1995 browning Abolt hunter 300 win mag

Lnewton

I have a 300 win mag Abolt and am thinking I need to replace the bolt. After trouble shooting several things I have deduced down to replacing the bolt. The rifle fires fine and cycles empty fine but after firing a round, the bolt is difficult to pull back to eject the casing. And when you do pull it back, sometimes if you are pulling hard it comes all the way out of the rifle. Not good! The bolt catch appears to be in good shape so it appears that where the bolt catch would grab the bolt sleeve is worn down. I noticed Midwest gun works has all of the parts in stock to rebuild my bolt. I assume that the internals of the bolt are fine so just wanted some advice and how to handle this. Thank you

When during the extraction cycle is this happening? Does the bolt handle fully engage the primary extraction cam when you eject a fired round? It sounds like the extraction problem is after the bolt handle is fully raised and after primary extraction, but just making sure. Make sure back of the bolt lugs are greased so they don't gall, maybe they already have? Also, is this extraction issue happening with factory ammo or reloads?

On the bolt sleeve, it could be worn enough to jump the bolt catch. You might replace the catch too, while you're at it. Those parts from midwest are pretty inexpensive. I've changed bolt heads on my late 80's Abolt with their parts in prep for a new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.