1968 Rem 7mm mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by surjimmy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. surjimmy

surjimmy Well-Known Member

Just picked up a 1968 Rem 700, 7 mag in about 98% plus condition. Was wondering what your take is on this gun. I have never had Remington before, was wondering value and quality.

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

surjimmy,
    Hard to say or give the value without actually seeing it. If it is in deed at 98% then it should not have many rounds through it and the actions alone are going to approx. $400.00. Should make a fine deer/bear rifle for up to 500yds. The Remingtons made back in the late 60's should be just fine. The quality, IMO, was a little better then than now. JohnnyK.

3. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Well-Known Member

You have a very nice rifle and I expect it will be extremely accurate, same rifle I used while growing up in Idaho. Many mulie and whitetail bucks fell to that rifle. I bought another one when Remington brought it out in the 'Classic' and it also was a great rifle, had it fitted with a McMillan stock. I used it up here and killed several moose and caribou with it. I have two boys and when they turned twelve, they had their choice of a new rifle or one from my collection. The youngest chose the 7 mag so I no longer have it. He is now 27 and it's his 'go to' gun. He shot at the range with me on Friday and it still shoots a one hole group at 100 yards. He will be taking it to Idaho in November when he and I go down to hunt whitetail.

I think you probably have a keeper there.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

It could have a Hart barrel on it (Look around the proof marks and if it has a hart shaped
    stamping/Cartouche then it will be a very good rifle and worth more than most new ones).

$600.00 + would be the value if so marked and in really good shape.

It also could have a very good, fully adjustable trigger.

J E CUSTOM

5. surjimmy

surjimmy Well-Known Member

It does have what appears to be a upside down heart on the barrel. When I have time I will give you a range report with pics of the rifle.

6. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i have an 7mm mag adl from that time. i adjusted the trigger and regularly get 3/4 inch groups with it

7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Thats the one !!!

You were lucky to find one. and with bedding and good loads you will have a shooter.

J E CUSTOM

8. buckfever

buckfever Active Member

I'v got a older Remington M700 ADL and it has a heart on the barrel with some triger work and has been glass bedded. It flat out shoots anything you put down the barrel. Thats good to know

9. rem300ultra

rem300ultra Well-Known Member

You bought a very fine rifle. I purchased my first new rifle in February 1968 when I got out of the military. It was a Remington 7mm Mag 700 BDL. I shot everything from fox to elk and moose with that gun. It would shoot under an inch @ 100 yards. The gun was stolen in 1979. I still own a Rem 7mm Mag, but I sure miss my original one.