1903A3 reloading trouble

Take one of the sized and trimmed cases and color it up really good with a black sharpie, then try to chamber it again. When you take it out, look for areas that have had the sharpie ink rubbed off. (you can even seat a bullet in the empty if it helps with feeding since the bullet has been eliminated as the issue.)

Also, are you putting the case in the magazine and letting the bolt pick it up so the rim is under the extractor or are you just dropping it in and having the extractor climb over the rim? If the empty cases will feed from the magazine, I'd do that just to eliminate another variable. I have 2 1903s and I don't think either one of them will close on a round that wasn't stripped correctly from the magazine.

Matt

I will try the inked up case and see what that shows. Thanks for a great idea.
I am putting the case with and without a bullet in the magazine well and letting the bolt grab it so I'm pretty sure it's not that but thanks for the heads up. I will try the painted case and let you know what I find.

Excellent point Matt. None of us thought to mention the extractor issue as a controlled round feed must be fed from magazine. BUT Ca30-06 did say he got the factory stuff to fit. Sometimes difficult to do this stuff on line.

CA-30-06. Just for grins set up the die so you have to cam over the top with the die screwed down past contact with the shell holder and size a case. See if IT fits.

If it won't fit then we can come up with more ideas. I am thinking rim diameter and other obscure things....

I ran 3 cases through the die last night with it set at 3 different points of depth beyond the contact with shell holder depth. None of the 3 cases sized allowed the bolt to close. Can the rim expand during firing? The cases I am trying to load where new factory cases that I had bought and fired once. I have tried just trimming them and not resizing thinking they where chamber sized as I think I have heard it called before and still no luck.

I ran 3 cases through the die last night with it set at 3 different points of depth beyond the contact with shell holder depth. None of the 3 cases sized allowed the bolt to close. Can the rim expand during firing? The cases I am trying to load where new factory cases that I had bought and fired once. I have tried just trimming them and not resizing thinking they where chamber sized as I think I have heard it called before and still no luck.

What do you mean by different points of depth? If you're screwing the die down until it contacts the shell holder and adding another 1/8" turn in the same direction, it doesn't matter much if you screw the die down any farther. BTW, what kind of lube are you using for sizing?

As for the rim expanding, yes, it can but only in a severe high-pressure situation which I doubt would happen with factory ammo.

The same sharpie trick can be used to see what parts of the case the die is actually working, just make sure to lube after painting.

Matt

It is possible you are bumping up the shoulder.

Does a fired unsized case chamber? If so set the sizing die to touch the shell holder and then back it out a turn and size a case and see if it fits. If it does smoke a case neck or sharpie it and see how much of the neck is sized. The work the die back down until the neck is fully sized and the case still chambers.

Has ANY sized brass ever fit? Could be a bad die. Would be interesting to see if another die would make it happen. Any friends have 30-06 dies?

What do you mean by different points of depth? If you're screwing the die down until it contacts the shell holder and adding another 1/8" turn in the same direction, it doesn't matter much if you screw the die down any farther. BTW, what kind of lube are you using for sizing?

As for the rim expanding, yes, it can but only in a severe high-pressure situation which I doubt would happen with factory ammo.

The same sharpie trick can be used to see what parts of the case the die is actually working, just make sure to lube after painting.

Matt

I am using Hornadays lube from a spray can applied to a RCBS lube tray. I will try the painted/smoked case in the receiver and die. What I mean by 3 different die depths is 1. Touching the case holder.
2. Touching + 1/8th turn
3. Touching - 1/8th turn

Has ANY sized brass ever fit? Could be a bad die. Would be interesting to see if another die would make it happen. Any friends have 30-06 dies?

Unfortunately I don't know if any has ever fit. I got the rifle and reloading equipment some years back from my dad after he passed. I got A LOT of cases, primers, powder, die sets, and a whole RCBS chucker set but in all the equipment and brass, no 30-06 shells. Just bullets and primers. I am the Ginny pig I guess on this rifle. I have loaded 200-300 for a 45acp, 45lc, 44mag, 300 savage and 30-30 and not ran into this problem at all. And, unfortunately none of my friends hand load. No way but buying a new die set to compare.

Unfortunately I don't know if any has ever fit. I got the rifle and reloading equipment some years back from my dad after he passed. I got A LOT of cases, primers, powder, die sets, and a whole RCBS chucker set but in all the equipment and brass, no 30-06 shells. Just bullets and primers. I am the Ginny pig I guess on this rifle. I have loaded 200-300 for a 45acp, 45lc, 44mag, 300 savage and 30-30 and not ran into this problem at all. And, unfortunately none of my friends hand load. No way but buying a new die set to compare.

I have a spare Lee FL 30-06 die if you want to try it. If you PM me your address, I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow. Somehow I've ended up with 2 Lee sets and 2 RCBS sets for 30-06.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.