190 BERGER VLD FOR 300 RUM

Down Under Hunter

HELLO ALL,
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE 190 BERGER VLD BULLET. I AM GOING TO LOAD THIS BULLET IN A CUSTOM 300 RUM WITH A 27" BARREL. ARE THERE ANY TRICKS WITH SEATING DEPTH FOR THE PROJECTILES ? I AM HAVING A EXT WYATT MAG FITTED TO THE RIFLE TO SUIT THIS SUPER LONG BULLET. I AM GOING TO TRY H1000 POWDER AND WORK IT UP.

DOES ANYONE HAVE IDEAS ON VELOCITY I SHOULD EXPECT FROM THE ROUND ? I THOUGHT AROUND 3250 ISH ?? THIS BULLET HAS AWSOME DOWN RANGE BALLISTICS WITH A .0574 BC !!

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

No experience with the VLD, but I get 3200 fps from a 200 gr Accubond (.577 b.c.) over RL-25 in a 700 with a 26 inch barrel. I'm guessing you may do better than 3250 with the Berger.

For even better downrange ballistics, check out the 210g VLD at 3000-3100fps. BC is .640 couple that with 20g more bullet weight and higher SD and you got yourself a winner!

You should be able to achieve 3250-3300 with the 190 quite easily. As stated, start right at or in the lands. I would try H1000, Retumbo, and RL-25 for powders, maybe even IMR-7828. Good luck with your RUM.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have never loaded the berger before, so your advice is really appreciated. I think the 210 berger is awsome but the 1/12 twist I doubt would handle it ?

The 190 has .574 bc and should handle 600 lbs animals out to my comfort limit.

Berger recommends 1 in 11, so with the higher velocity of the RUM you may do just fine with the 210's. Have used them with some success here in South Africa, but not on a bunch of big game (yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

There was a thread about Bergers about 2 weeks back too. Search in Long Range Hunting section if I recall.

I'd certainly give the 210's a try - particulalry in that weight class.

Let us know how you go.

WL

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.