1885 style actions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by backwoods hunter, May 23, 2009.

1. backwoods hunter

backwoods hunter Well-Known Member

Dose any body know where i can get a after market falling block action to build off of. Prefered the 1885 style.

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

You can't buy just an action as far as I know, But there are still Brownings and the newer
    winchester rifles out there but you probably will have to pay around $1,000.oo dollars
    for one.

The Browning's have a better finish (Blueing) than the Winchesters and better quality control.

I have built several rifles on these actions and they are diffacult but worth the trouble. (The
    extractor slot is machined into the barrel tenion and has to be timed in also the barrel shank
    has to be turned down to clear the forearm support tang.

These are very strong actions and make beautiful rifles

Good luck finding one and good luck on your build

J E CUSTOM

3. jimbo300

jimbo300 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have a Uberti 1885 which is a reproduction of the 1885 Winchester, it is chambered in 45-70 and is an absolute tack-driver with Winchester 300gr. jacketed hollow points. On several occasions at 100yds I have shot 3 rounds with all touching, this with a 3-9X44 scope. Great looking rifle too, by the way.

4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Montana action?
    I was thinking about a custom No.1 but am leaning tword the Montana action now.

5. NDNorm

NDNorm Well-Known Member

I do not need this one - 300 WSM never fired
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

How much are you asking for it ?

I am interested

J E CUSTOM