1885 style actions

Dose any body know where i can get a after market falling block action to build off of. Prefered the 1885 style.

You can't buy just an action as far as I know, But there are still Brownings and the newer
winchester rifles out there but you probably will have to pay around $1,000.oo dollars
for one.

The Browning's have a better finish (Blueing) than the Winchesters and better quality control.

I have built several rifles on these actions and they are diffacult but worth the trouble. (The
extractor slot is machined into the barrel tenion and has to be timed in also the barrel shank
has to be turned down to clear the forearm support tang.

These are very strong actions and make beautiful rifles

Good luck finding one and good luck on your build

J E CUSTOM

FWIW, I have a Uberti 1885 which is a reproduction of the 1885 Winchester, it is chambered in 45-70 and is an absolute tack-driver with Winchester 300gr. jacketed hollow points. On several occasions at 100yds I have shot 3 rounds with all touching, this with a 3-9X44 scope. Great looking rifle too, by the way.

Have you looked at the Montana action?
I was thinking about a custom No.1 but am leaning tword the Montana action now.

I do not need this one - 300 WSM never fired
DSCN1170.jpg

1885.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts