180gr 300WSM loads? favorites?

Winmag,
My most accurate load in my 300 wsm is 59.0 gr of H4350 with 180 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Grant it they are only running a little over 2650 fps but they chase one another.

I just ran 200gr Accubond, with listed .588 bc, at 2900fps, at 3800 ft above sea level....
Wow, that's impressive! I figured sure it would slow down too quick to keep with the 1800fps for expansion.
NOPE... That's a bitchen round right there!
I'm gonna work up two loads.
One with 180Accubonds
& one with 200Accubonds,
Chronny both, & pick the one with the best groups.
3100 with the 180 was my Target velocity, with anything over 3k with 1/2-3/4 MOA, 5 shot groups, being acceptable to me.
That 200 at 2900 is flat out mind blowing tho! Wow! If that winds up being a better grouping load, I'm gonna have to get another scope, just to allow me to go to 900+ for Deer.
Wow. Just Wow!

I just ran 200gr Accubond, with listed .588 bc, at 2900fps, at 3800 ft above sea level....
Wow, that's impressive! I figured sure it would slow down too quick to keep with the 1800fps for expansion.
NOPE... That's a bitchen round right there!
I'm gonna work up two loads.
One with 180Accubonds
& one with 200Accubonds,
Chronny both, & pick the one with the best groups.
3100 with the 180 was my Target velocity, with anything over 3k with 1/2-3/4 MOA, 5 shot groups, being acceptable to me.
That 200 at 2900 is flat out mind blowing tho! Wow! If that winds up being a better grouping load, I'm gonna have to get another scope, just to allow me to go to 900+ for Deer.
Wow. Just Wow!

If you run the 200 on top of as much 7828ssc or H4831sc as your gun will safely handle you'll be right in the 2900 fps range. Hodgdon data doesn't go this high because they show for the standard cut versions of the powder with compression. The short cut versions allow you to fill the case with a bit more powder to maximize velocity with the slower powder without going too high in pressure.

Last edited:
Winmag,
My most accurate load in my 300 wsm is 59.0 gr of H4350 with 180 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Grant it they are only running a little over 2650 fps but they chase one another.

Hi, I'm wondering what length barrel and what type of gun? I have a rem 700 with a 24" barrel and I've been reloading 168gn Sierra BTHP, 66.1gn 4831sc, cci large rifle mag primers. My seating depth is limited since my gun is short action but I really feel like I should be able to make my bullets "chase each other" at 100yds. I'd be super happy with that outcome at any velocity. What are your drops like?
Quick question also, do you feel I'll be more consistent with a heavier tip? Everybody loves the vld's but they are so long and skinny at the tip that my sa doesn't like'Em?
Thanks for the info. Derek

Hi, I'm wondering what length barrel and what type of gun? I have a rem 700 with a 24" barrel and I've been reloading 168gn Sierra BTHP, 66.1gn 4831sc, cci large rifle mag primers. My seating depth is limited since my gun is short action but I really feel like I should be able to make my bullets "chase each other" at 100yds. I'd be super happy with that outcome at any velocity. What are your drops like?
Quick question also, do you feel I'll be more consistent with a heavier tip? Everybody loves the vld's but they are so long and skinny at the tip that my sa doesn't like'Em?
Thanks for the info. Derek

each rifle will get slightly different velocity so just because I get one velocity with a remington model 700, 24" barrel, doesn't mean that you will get the same results. Barrels vary slightly in the actual bore diameter (very little, but some). Chambers are cut slightly differently... ex...

also the size of the tip isn't what your likely having a problem with... if you havaing seating issues and having to seat fairly deep that means you have considerable jump or freebore prior to the bullet enguaging the rifleing. VLD is a secant design which needs to be seated right next to the rifleing. Generally speaking you will have better luck with a bullet like a nosler, sierra or speer which has the tangent ogive.

If you run the 200 on top of as much 7828ssc or H4831sc as your gun will safely handle you'll be right in the 2900 fps range. Hodgdon data doesn't go this high because they show for the standard cut versions of the powder with compression. The short cut versions allow you to fill the case with a bit more powder to maximize velocity with the slower powder without going too high in pressure.

Loaded up some dummy rounds for my smith today. I loaded em as long as I dared for the 180's with a c.o.a.l. of 3.000
Then I left the die set right there, where I loaded the 180's, & loaded a 200. The c.o.a.l. was 3.012. Id like to push it out there further, but I don't dare if I'm gonna fling 180's too.

This puts the base of the 180 gr Accubond basically even with the case wall/shoulder junction.
Unfortunately, this puts the 200 gr Accubond deeper than id like to be. The case wall/shoulder junction is basically even with the start of the boattail/baring surface junction. (just the boattail base sticks below the case wall/shoulder junction).

Eventhough id like to seat the 200 out further so I don't get compressed loads too fast, I'm still way past any factory throat ive ever hered of, but not too long to fling 180's. So, advantage- ME-!:D best of both worlds I hope
This is gonna be fun!!gun)
I can't wait to here from my smith to see if a happy medium can be reached this way. Basically the barrel will be throated for the c.o.a.l. 3.000 long 180Accubond at about .015 off the lands. The 200's will fall where they may. Guessing its gonna be around 3.012 but well have to see, but its gonna be long. A lot longer than factory for dang sure. I should have enough case volume to reach a solid 2900fps with 200gr Accubonds over 7828sc without compressed loads, or at least "less compressed". (thank you brentc, for your input in this. It has been very helpfull).
Plus ill be knockin on the door of 3100fps with the 180's.... Waaaahoooooo!!

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried Hybrid with the 190+ grain pills, as far as heavy weights go I load 208amaxs at 2.996" which is .010" in the lands in my sps, and I use 65.5grns of hybrid and BR2 primers and get clover 3 shot groups at 100 yrds, and they cross the chrony on average of 2948fps. I usually do not worry about 5 shot groups with a sporter barreled hunting rifle, I never intend on needing 5 shots! Just go out to 5 or 600yards and shoot 3 shots to check your vertical, and always test your cold bore velocity and POI, that's what's important with a hunting rifle.

Loaded up some dummy rounds for my smith today. I loaded em as long as I dared for the 180's with a c.o.a.l. of 3.000
Then I left the die set right there, where I loaded the 180's, & loaded a 200. The c.o.a.l. was 3.012. Id like to push it out there further, but I don't dare if I'm gonna fling 180's too.

This puts the base of the 180 gr Accubond basically even with the case wall/shoulder junction.
Unfortunately, this puts the 200 gr Accubond deeper than id like to be. The case wall/shoulder junction is basically even with the start of the boattail/baring surface junction. (just the boattail base sticks below the case wall/shoulder junction).

Eventhough id like to seat the 200 out further so I don't get compressed loads too fast, I'm still way past any factory throat ive ever hered of, but not too long to fling 180's. So, advantage- ME-!:D best of both worlds I hope
This is gonna be fun!!gun)
I can't wait to here from my smith to see if a happy medium can be reached this way. Basically the barrel will be throated for the c.o.a.l. 3.000 long 180Accubond at about .015 off the lands. The 200's will fall where they may. Guessing its gonna be around 3.012 but well have to see, but its gonna be long. A lot longer than factory for dang sure. I should have enough case volume to reach a solid 2900fps with 200gr Accubonds over 7828sc without compressed loads, or at least "less compressed". (thank you brentc, for your input in this. It has been very helpfull).
Plus ill be knockin on the door of 3100fps with the 180's.... Waaaahoooooo!!

Sounds like a winner to me. I wasn't sure how long that 180 would end up seated out. Don't worry, you won't be compressing the powder with any of the powders you'll be using. Even with 68.0 - 69.0 grains of 7828ssc that 200 will fit as if it was made to be there. I load 67.5 grains of 7828ssc with a 210 Berger at 2.995 and it fills the case perfectly with no compression.

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried Hybrid with the 190+ grain pills, as far as heavy weights go I load 208amaxs at 2.996" which is .010" in the lands in my sps, and I use 65.5grns of hybrid and BR2 primers and get clover 3 shot groups at 100 yrds, and they cross the chrony on average of 2948fps. I usually do not worry about 5 shot groups with a sporter barreled hunting rifle, I never intend on needing 5 shots! Just go out to 5 or 600yards and shoot 3 shots to check your vertical, and always test your cold bore velocity and POI, that's what's important with a hunting rifle.

I have a box of 185 hybrids arriving in a day (wohoo!)

i am hoping to have the accuracy of the accubond but the BC of the berger... we will see in a few weeks.

I have a box of 185 hybrids arriving in a day (wohoo!)

i am hoping to have the accuracy of the accubond but the BC of the berger... we will see in a few weeks.

Good luck, & keep us informed. I always like success stories:D to add to the "load data/ideas to try" book.gun)

So I started this thread with the intent on being ready for my build completion in a timley manner, so is be fully prepared for balls out load development. But, my rifle build is running about a month late, due to some unforeseen circumstances. Hopefully ill have it in my grubby little hands within a week or so!!!!!

Picked up a pound of RL-17, & will pick up a pound of IMR-7828ssc next Friday.
This is a most horrible form of self inflicted torture!!! It's like being a kid waiting wide awake in bed, listening for Santa Clause.
Or, worse than lying awake on your cot, in your wall tent just listening to the seconds tic by on your watch, the night before opening day of Elk Season!!
It's just horrible torture!! Just too many questions racing thru my mind, that won't go away....
What will my rifle handle, & feel like?
What bullets/loads will it like best?
Is it still gonna feel like an old friend when I shoulder it?
Will it be too front heavy with the 26" #4 taper + Muscle brake when shooting off hand?
Am I gonna be able to pack that sucker all day in Hells Canyon in August?
Will I have enough load development done by August...?
Will I even have my rifle by August.......

Aaaaahhhhhh I'm goin nutts!! The wait is SOOOOO MUCH HARDER than I thought it would be!!!
I just wanna fondle it, & load up some rounds to send down the tube!

WinMag, I am just kinda starting with the 300WSM. I bought 180 AB's and 168 ET's while I was at the Shooters Pro Shop last Fall and started with the 168 ET's and RL17. Didn't really group very well and weren't very fast at all. I kinda shelved them and drove on with RL19 and 180 AB's. I talked with the head ballistician at Nosler (Eric) and he stated RL19 was the powder to use for the 300WSM and 180's. So, I started out with them loaded about .025" off the lands and started working up with RL19, WW cases and 180 AB's. I stopped when I got to 3030 with my load. Grouping was pretty decent.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

I then pushed them in from 2.915" to 2.905"

They got smaller, then I went further to 2.895 and they started to open up a little.

So, I split the difference to 2.900" and shot this

IMG_0852.jpg

After that, I flung a few more groups downrange at about the same size and consistency and called the ball. I just didn't see burning up the barrel anymore on my little Featherweight. I am a huge believer in RL19 with the 180's. Seems like a hot ticket.

When I return from this deployment, I may try to do the same thing with the 200 AB. I used them for barrel break in with a moderate load of RL22 at 2780. It put 20 rounds into about 1.5" cleaning every round. I kinda ditched them for the 180's for some reason.

I think RL22 or maybe Magpro would get into the 2900's pretty easily, at least according to QL. Right now, I have my elk load with the 180's and if the 200's work the same, I will use them. But, at least, I won't be pinched for time, if the 200's aren't cooperating, I will load up 180's and build my range card. I am even more range limited than you and stick to 650 and under as that is as far as I can practice. I am not sure an elk would shrug off either bullet, but I would feel better with the 200.

Good luck, I love the little 300WSM in the Featherweight, very nice carrying rifle and if it is set up correctly, has all the capability I am looking for in an elk rifle while my 338 is in getting surgery.

Beretz,
Nice shootin', & thanks for the info. I've got a pretty good amount of RL-19 as its my go to powder for my 270WSM. I'll be sure to try it out with the 180's.
LTLR had some great results with RL-19 as well with the cutting edge bullets.

Thanks for your service by the way, & stay safe bud.
My kids, & I still pray for all of our soldiers everyday. We haven't forgot those of you who are still deployed, or re-deployed.
When you home, enjoy that Shortmag! You've earned it.

P.S.
If there's anything I can do as far as swinging by the pro shop is concerned, if you need something, while your away on your deployment, lemme know. Nosler is only 15-20 minutes from my house, & Ill be glad to do what I can.

Beretz,
Nice shootin', & thanks for the info. I've got a pretty good amount of RL-19 as its my go to powder for my 270WSM. I'll be sure to try it out with the 180's.
LTLR had some great results with RL-19 as well with the cutting edge bullets.

Thanks for your service by the way, & stay safe bud.
My kids, & I still pray for all of our soldiers everyday. We haven't forgot those of you who are still deployed, or re-deployed.
When you home, enjoy that Shortmag! You've earned it.

P.S.
If there's anything I can do as far as swinging by the pro shop is concerned, if you need something, while your away on your deployment, lemme know. Nosler is only 15-20 minutes from my house, & Ill be glad to do what I can.

Thank you, I do appreciate it. SPS is just about my favorite store!

Yeah, I know the Alliant powders get knocked on alot, but RL22 in my 270WSM and 7WSM are incredible, with the 150 PT's running at 3120 out of the 270 and 160 AB's running nearly 3100. I think RL22, MRP, or Magpro would net a little faster speeds with 200's though. I like the WSM's alot, well, and Model 70's.

Thank you for thinking about us out here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.