180 hybrid stability

eric1115

In a 9.5 twist, lowest/coldest that I'm going to be shooting, Berger's stability calculator puts me at 1.47 sg with a .345 adjusted BC with the 180 hybrid. The 180 VLD hunting is 1.54 sg with identical BC.

I'm new to handloading (going to load a bunch of .308 and .223 before I start loading for my 7mm RM). I like the idea of the hybrid being more forgiving on seating depth/jump, and am so close to the line between marginal and full stability.

Would you have any qualms about running the 180 hybrid under these conditions? Or would you take full stability and potentially more sensitivity to seating depth?

It would be a do-all load, I have steel as far as I can imagine shooting (1400+) and as of right now I'm confident shooting under 600 on game (antelope to elk, no big bears on the menu for me).

Thanks!

In my experience, the 180 does not transition to subsonic well, and going off what I have seen, if all parameters equal, some lots of bullets fair better than others.
If you have steel that far out, run your own tests, it will become apparent at a certain range where things come apart.
You know the hindsight saying, but a 9tw or faster would have been a better option. If I stay shooting the 180 hybrid, my next barrel will be at least .8.75tw if not .8.5, right now if the DA drops below 5500 for me, there is a line in the sand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts