180 drain bergers

270shooter

Im wanting to rebarrel my 7mmRem mag with a28'' barrel whT Kind of velocities can I expect with either 168 or 180 grain bergers and what twist should I use

I had a 30" 7mm rem mag that shot the 180 VLDs up to 3050 but best accuracy was around 2975.
Can't answer the 168 gr bullet question.

270 Shooter
Can't comment on the 180 vld's but we have used the 168 Bergers out of a factory Rem 700 Sendero 26" and was getting around 2900 fps. That was with H1000. We got more velocity out of Retumbo but the accuracy wasn't there.
Got that same rifle at the gunsmith right now getting the action trued and a new Hart 28" sendero contour 1/9 twist barrel installed. Oh forgot to mention this is the 7RM. We plan on trying some 180 Bergers when we get it back to see how they shoot. The gunsmith thinks the 1/9 will handle the 180's ok. Also going from 26" to 28" he thinks only about a 40-60 fps gain. I don't know we will find out in a another 6-8 weeks. Good luck on your rebarrel.

thanks for the replies . what is the oal on both 168 and 180s and willthe feed from a savage 110 magazine or will I have to go single shot

Can't see going single shot in a hunting rifle. Try the VLDs seated to fit and feed from magazine. If they don't shoot try some shorter OALs. If you still cannot get them to shoot you can try the 180 target hybrids which are not so sensitive to seating depths. While Berger says the target hybrids are not for hunting many here think they work fine on big game.

You could wait for the hunting line of hybrids to show sometime this year. I would love to see a 168 hunting hybrid or even a 168 target hybrid show before the a 180 hunting hybrid but we will just have to wait and see.

If all else fails you could try the 162 A-max.......

270 Shooter-

I have a 110 and a 114 Savage, I don't knnow how yours is set up but the magazine on my 110 only allows a COAL of 2.90" (Nowhere near enough far a 7 RM, the 114 allows a 3.50" COAL.)

Keep in mind that these have the same action screw spacing, however on the 114 the mag. cut-out is longer and the bolt travels backwards into the the action farther.

If your 110 is set up the same I would reccomend the RSAUM, you won't be giving up much to the 7 RM and you can load them to fit in a 2.9" magazine if you want. The WSM is another option too but has alot less barrel life and uses alot more powder than the SAUM.

I just ordered my first barrel ever (for a wildcat I'm working on to deal with the length problems) so take that for what it is worth. However, I ordered a 1:9 Broughton, this seems to be what everyonoe recomends for the 180's and they will be just fine with the 168's.

Another note, my 114 is a 7 RM with a 1:10 twist and shoots the 168's really well. I have not tried the 180's yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.