.17vs .223 on crow

• Thread starter psycho killer17
  • Start date
P

psycho killer17

Guys i had todo this .. after reading 100's of post i dont get it why is everyone using a .223 on crow over 150 yds i have to defend them both alittle see i shoot them both but why at only 150 yds . I have taken around 100 crow at ranges in excess of 250 and i have killed several way farther then i am comfortable trying with my .223 .. to date my personal best is 14 clicks elevation over a 300 yard zero ...it was done last fall and i forget the range finder range now but i would guess to be 450yds it was with a simple 4x12 scope and elevation knobs and the .17 did the job on it ........why is everyone using .223 on crow really i fully understand yotes but crow for the record i am going to push it this spring and see the number of 400+ i can get on film

.17 Rem? If it is then I agree with you. I personally use a .204 for crows but I think a .17 Rem would be just as good or even better. A .223 is just too much for a little crow. Plus a .17 shoots flatter out then a .223. I'd love to see your videos of 400+ yard shots! gun)

There's no such thing as too much lol... I use a 22-250 and a 220 swift. The swift is pushing 3700 fps with a 52 gr bullet, the 22-250 is 3500 with the same bullet. 52gr Speer HPs (#1035).

little crow ??????????

geazus ! here they are 2 ft tall and mean as hell....bigggg mothers

I know there not "little", but theyre not a coyote. It doesnt take much to put them down...Sounds like a 300 WSM will do some damage! Pheraps vaporize? :rolleyes:
What distances do you typically shoot them at liltank?

We were trying... and I emphasize trying to hit them at about 675+ yards. We didn't hit any, but came awfully close a couple times. We were totally guessing the yardage, because we did not have a range finder that would read accurately past 600yrds. For guessing we came pretty close in my opinion.

My best to shots were two pidgeons with one shot at 65yrds and a fox squirrel at 200. I was still learning the rules of long range shooting and my equipment. I kept messing around with loads and bullets and did not settle on one bullet. I get curious and want to try different things.

We were trying... and I emphasize trying to hit them at about 675+ yards. We didn't hit any, but came awfully close a couple times. We were totally guessing the yardage, because we did not have a range finder that would read accurately past 600yrds. For guessing we came pretty close in my opinion.

My best to shots were two pidgeons with one shot at 65yrds and a fox squirrel at 200. I was still learning the rules of long range shooting and my equipment. I kept messing around with loads and bullets and did not settle on one bullet. I get curious and want to try different things.

Wow thats pretty impressive. I'd love to shoot out 600+ YDS but have yet to. Hard to find a place around me to shoot that far..

I have never owned a .17 cal rifle (Daisy) but I have taken a few crows with a .223 and it does a fine job. I have used the .22-250 with 52gn SMK the most. I've also used a .25-06 (75gnHP) and 7mmRM (150gn NBT) and yes they do explode with the latter. I love that effect.
I've been using a heavy barreled .243 with 65gn V-Max's for the past 6 months and the crows here are not happy. I've taken about 25 since I got here in Sept. which isn't alot, but it's more than I'm used to. In my experience, hunting pressure usually keeps them pretty wired. In N.C. if they even hear your truck slow down they take off!
I moved up to Va. and there are tons of crows up here. I've seen "murders" with over a 100 birds. I took two with one shot at 248yds about two weeks ago. What a hoot! They went ballistic.
They have learned my white Chevy work truck, so this weekend I slipped over to the barn/cow pasture in the Jeep. BootYow...dead crow flopping...BootYow...another one bites the dust! The rest took off. I love smacking those little, black "beasturds". JohnnyK.

Psycho, you crack me up! Unless you are going to eat the birds or are worried about a humane kill, there is no such thing as too much gun for crows. It is all about making the shot at your current conditions (distance, wind, etc...). With that said, I have to say you are doing an excellent job with that 17 cal. I just bought a Savage mdl 10 pred. in 22-250. I am currently working up loads for it. My MOA loads so far are 33 gr of IMR 4320, WIN once fired brass, WLR primers, 55 gr Speer SP. Another is: 35 gr of VARGET with the other component being the same. This is for a coyote, crow and ground hog combo at 400 yards max. Still working at it though I have not taken a shot at live game yet. Still not satisfied/comfortable with the loads yet. I have Hornady 53 gr BTHP and speer 50 gr TNTs, H4895 and IMR 4350 to play with first. Then watch out crows, I'm a coming.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.