17hrm verses 22 mag@300yds.

bluedeer

My club holds a monthly match shooting 5"[email protected] are simple.any rimfire rifle ,any sight, benchrest style.shoot till you miss.I have a rem. 541T,but feel a 17hrm would be better.I/m also thinking about lapua scoremax 48gr 22lr ammo for my 541T.I dont own a 22mag.Near as I can tell the b.c.for the 17 is.130, for the 22mag .124. Dont know about 22LR.Any help appreciated.

Archie Brown,
I just bought a 17HMR last week. The rifle is a Savage bolt action with a heavy bull barrel. I paid $209.00 at the new Gander Mt in Middletown, N.Y. The little round/rifle is capable of sub m.o.a at 100yds. I had the oppertunity to try the CCI TNT hollow points and the Hornady V-max, both are just 17 grains. The V-max holding a slight edge over the TNT's in accuracy and terminal performance. The advertised veloctiy on the box of Hornady was 2550 fps. With a zero of 100 yards, I was hitting unbroken clay birds from the trap range set upright at 150 yards with little to no effort. The 17HMR is a great round and is alot of fun to shoot. It is in my opinion capable of shooting out to 300yds at balloons. The only problem with this round is the wind. It does not take much wind to drift the little 17 grain bullet off target. I hope this helps you. Good luck with the shoot. Please let me know how you make out.

Deergrunt
grin.gif

I would try some of the Eley 22LR R50 or other Eley target 22LR ammunition.
Crow Mag

Archie,

Ive shot both my .17hmr and .22mag out to 200 yards I use 40gr bullets in the .22 mag and the .17hmr bucks the wind much better, and also alot more accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts