17HMR

screech

I know this is not a long range round but was wondering which bullet you guys shot out of you'rs. Is it the 17gr. vmax or the 20gr. x bullet? any pics of kills would be cool.

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is not a long range round but was wondering which bullet you guys shot out of you'rs. Is it the 17gr. vmax or the 20gr. x bullet? any pics of kills would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine loves the V-MAx.

Keep in mind that "Long range" is relative.

It you are taking barn pigeons with a .22 RF at 250 yds, THAT'S LONG RANGE.

I have a Cz in .17HMR and it is a .5 moa rifle.A friend that shoots rock chucks out to 200 yds. with a marlin .17HMR doesn't flip them but dead is dead. My rifle likes the Hornaday .17 VMAX load.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Cz in .17HMR and it is a .5 moa rifle.A friend that shoots rock chucks out to 200 yds. with a marlin .17HMR doesn't flip them but dead is dead. My rifle likes the Hornaday .17 VMAX load.

[/ QUOTE ]

I to have a CZ and it shoots all 17 & 20gr inside an inch.
If you don't have a 17 hmr you atre missing out on a fun fun gun.
Coyotes ,crows ,hundreds of praire dogs right on down to splattering starlings 17hmr is great.-Mike

The 17HMR for me has an interesting beginning and I'll try to share it with y'all.When the HMR first come out I kinda figured it was a gimmick and not that much of an improvement over the 22lr to justify the cost=so I didn't!
Then I made a trip out doggin with buddy Curt.On the drive out to S Dakota(I lived in Mn at the time)He expressed a desire to get a prairie dog with the bow and that he had his new HMR along.I proceeded to explain that this was going to be a scouting trip to find dogs as close as possible to home and that finding a place to use the bow and a rim-fire was asking a lot of a BDB.As luck would have it this BDB stumbled into a great little town that had not ben shot yet that year=FUN,more FUN and just plain a BLAST!
Well Curt got the bow out and ended up with a few prairie dogs and a streekie,it was so easy even i got one with the bow
chickendancing.gif

curtheadshot.jpg

It didn't take long to get sick of fetching arrows so he then brings out his new 17HMR that he's ben saying is so accurate.The dogs are real ignorant so I got my 22lr and give it a try.Shooting side by side that HMR was kicking the little 22lr *** for both range and hits!!

June11%20005.jpg

It rained the next morning so we took off for Cabalas to get some more 17HMR ammo.While there I looked into getting an HMR for my own self.$275 later I had a Savage package unit with a BSA scope(scope and bases have since ben replaced with a little better quality) and 500 rounds of ammo.By the time we ate dinner and got back to the town the dogs where back out.The 17HMRs really raised cain with that small town as the dogs didn't seam to be bothered by the quiet report of the 17rimfire.
Got so we where shooting for doubles to conserve ammo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

June11%20006.jpg

Kinda graphic but shows the HMRs ability to hit the PEEKERS.

June11%20004.jpg

The price of ammo is going up but I still like the HMR for a lite carry gun that dont scare everything in the area.Just picked up another 1000 rounds the other day.$181/1000 is more than I can reload some other rounds for but its nice to have around sometimes!!!
This Savage don't seam to be too fussy what ya feed it=just have to adjust point of impact and trajectory a little when switching ammo.
Got a couple thousand rounds through the HMR now and have found it will shoot farther than it will kill humanely.Have made a few shots past 300 yards but try to limit range to 200 or less for better kills on prairie dogs.Rabbits are best shot inside of 150 yards for a good kill.

17hmrrabbit.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.