.17HMR max range

Discussion in 'Rimfire and Airguns' started by 260remmy, Apr 12, 2007.

1. 260remmy

260remmy Member

What do you guys think the max range for the little hummer is. The farthest i've shot mine at was around 225yds with good results. any 400+. IT seems pretty accurate with no wind. just wondering

2. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

I would say, after having a 17 HMR, the max killing range is right around 250 yards.

Wildcat

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

farthest to date would be just a tad over 200-250 area with the 20gr.xtp. Rock chuck.

4. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

I've rolled a few prairie dogs past 300 yards and even have a varafied kill @ 325 <u>BUT</u> I quit trying as there where just too many crawler past 150 yards.The 20 grain kill a little better than the 17 grain BTs but not enough IMHO to shoot past 150yards....The 223/204 works better past 150 yards and cost about the same per round.

5. Jerry Ricker

Jerry Ricker Well-Known Member

My longest confirmed is on a fox at 266 yd. One shot through the neck (front shoulder was aiming point) with a complete pass through. Dead on the spot. Bullet was a factory Hornady 17gr V-Max. I am repeatedly amazed with this little wonder.

6. tulku

tulku Well-Known Member

+1 on what Mach V said . I did'nt like the results on Pdogs with the Vmax much beyond 125 Yards . Especially if they were BIG Pdogs ...too many crawlers . I found a Ranch with a lot of mounds close to the house and that field was loaded with tons of old machinery . Kind of fun to sneak around all that stuff using it for a solid rest and popping Pdogs at under 125 yards . Quiet too !

7. CPerkins

CPerkins Well-Known Member

I've hammered quite a few crows over 225yrds with mine. 310 is my best to date.

8. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

I would say its a good 225-250 yard squirrel getter. I've popped quite a few in that range w/ no wind. After that, it gets a bit tricky!!

9. 260remmy

260remmy Member

It's a great little round, but the wind really plays hell with those little bullets but its understandable considering the weight. I think it's a great practice round thats a hoot to shoot but for real varminting, i'll stick with the .223

10. FRANK21

FRANK21 Well-Known Member

On pdogs, we have found that the 17HMR w/ 17grVMAX will do a pretty good job of killin at 250-275. I have killed some at 305-315, some were DRT, some crawled. For us, seeing how far we can hit one with a 17HMR is one of the funnest things to do on the pdog town.

11. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

One of the best shots I ever made was a p-dog at 413 yards with the 17 hmr. Only reason it killed him was because it hit him square in the eyeball and he basically bled to death and couldn't see which way was his hole! But after he died, he caught the attention of a golden eagle which swooped down and tried to eat the dog. I have never run 413 yards so fast in my life! I had to get a picture of that dog and couldn't let that damn eagle take him off. Luckily, he dropped the dog into some sagebrush so I could get a picture.

12. 260remmy

260remmy Member

How much bullet drop did you get at that range? pics?

13. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

I can't remember how much drop in inches there was but I do remember this was the only p-dog that I didn't dial to. I simply kept aiming higher and higher and when he finally tipped over, he was at the bottom of my vertical post on 9x! It would have never happened if it hadn't been dead calm first thing in the morning.

I had a pic of it but I can't get it to come up for some reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

I believe that I took a pic of this event,since I was present and witnessed it. will try to find and post it.
    UB