175g uld rbbt + h1000

remingtonman_25_06

I have been working a little bit with the 175g ULD RBBT out of my 7 RM. I have H1000 and Rl-22 powder to try. I wanted H1000 to perform better as I want to use that powder instead of RL-22. I just wanted to get a quick idea of what might work w/out loading to many bullets. So I loaded up 2 loads with each powder, totaling only 12 shots. 1 load is 3 shots to me. Anyways I started at 62 and 63g RL-22 and then went with 65 and 66g H1000. W-W cases, Fed 215 primers, and OAL of 3.375" was used for all tested. Both the 62 and 63g RL-22 loads put the first 2 touching or in the same hole pretty much, but threw the 3rd one out at least an inch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Velocity was about 2900fps. The next load was 65g H1000 and it two did the same thing, put the first 2 real tight, then threw the 3rd one out. The 66g load put them in a little triangle about .75", no flyers. I decided to work around the 66g H1000 load. I proceeded to load up 2 more loads, this time at 65.8g and 66.2g I also changed the seating depth .010" to make it 3.365" instead of 3.375" I thought the longer length was causing pressure, which was causing the flyers. The 65.8g load shot around .75" at 2850fps. The last load of 66.2g H1000 produced a nice tight .211" 3 shot group at 100 yards, velocity was 2875fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was pretty happy with that so I went ahead and loaded 20 of them up with that same load. I will zero them at 100 yards, and do drops at 400 and 800. I'm going to enter .650 for the BC and velocity of 2875fps and see what happens.

Good write up, I've been debating about trying some of the Wildcat bullets in my 7RM, just haven't done it yet.

What rifle / barrel are you using?

Thanks,
Don

Rifle is a Rem 700 BDL, wood/blued, factory 24", has a holland qd brake installed, factory rem trigger down to 2.5#. Scope is a Leupold VX3 LR, 6.5-20x50, SF, 30mm, fine duplex. Mounts and rings are Leupolds permanent weaver style. This rifle has met my accuracy expectations quite easily, giving .5-.75 MOA to 800 yards for a factory sporter weight rifle. I'll definately keep ya posted on what happens once more bullets get in the air.

Thanks Canute, I believe 3.365" is about .010"-.015" off the lands. I dont have any tools to measure, I just go by the old method of using a fired case, making a dent in the mouth to hold the bullet, then slide into the rifle and let the lands seat the bullet. I believe 3.375" to 3.380" was right at the lands w/this particular bullet. Thats why I started the testing initially at that COL as I thought at/near the lands was best. However, it was giving odd velocity numbers and flyers so figured I'd back off .010". Odd thing is that the 162g AMAX and 168g VLD are at 3.440" to touch the lands. The design isnt the same though, so the difference is nothing to worry about. According to my program, it should take around 73 clicks to be on at 800 yards w/the .650 projected BC. Will find out soon enough.

Remman,

If you want RL-22 class burn rate powder but in an extreme powder from Hodgdon, why not go with H-4831. The two are extremely close in burn rate.

You may find the Wildcats prefer a pretty hard kick in the rear for their finest accuracy. Not to say they will not shoot well at lower pressures but in my experience, in most cases, the higher the chamber pressure is the tighter the groups get.

This is not an excuse to rod the hell out of your rifle but they generally shoot best at top end pressures.

Good results so far, the H-1000 is doing well for you, keep an eye on powder fouling with that powder and case capacity. May be more then you want, thats where H-4831 may be a better match as it will offer higher chamber pressures for a cleaner burn.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.