175 SMK VS Groundhog

sniperjwt

Well i am guessing this was a suicidal groundhog. I was doing some target shooting this morning and as soon as i get done out walks this groundhog about 80 yards away. I thought it was almost too good to be true. Having shot all the ammo for my 25-06 at the target i pulled out my Remington VLS 308 shooting the 175g SMK at 2860 fps. Well as you can see the SMK won the battle.:D:D:D

c1443011.jpg

14786f36.jpg

Nice shooting had the same thing happen about ten years ago had a wood chuck walk out about ten yards away one hit with a 22-250 left it in two pieces.
robster

I had about the same thing happen a couple times. Once I was making sure my 25-06 was ready to go for my up and coming deer hunt. I was shooting off a bench at 200 yards and all of a sudden this ground hog just walks right out about 3 feet from my target. BIG MISTAKE. 117 Sierra at 3000 fps muzzle velocity to the head = NO HEAD TO BE FOUND.

Another time I was shooting some of my military rifles and about 75 yards away this ground hog just strolls across the range in front of me. BIG MISTAKE. I was shooting my Ishapor Enfield 7.62X51 NATO with 150 gr Sierra Match Kings. The results look a whole lot like your 175 Match Kings results.

Talk about suicidal. I once had a suicidal deer show up. I had gotten in my shooting house before day light and got set up on a old logging road that runs between two cut-overs. I put my rifle up on the 2 X 8 shooting rail and had it balanced by the forearm so all I had to do was look through the scope and I could see all the way down the road. It had just gotten light enough to see and I was looking through the scope. This 8 point buck walks broadside out into the road at a little over 100 yards and when he stops the cross hairs are perfectly lined up and centered on his front shoulder. All I did was flick the safety off and squeeze the trigger of my 25-06 and that 117 Sierra hammered him in his tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.