17 remington

Mark2

Anyone have this caliber, and if so how do you like it. I went to the 3 major ammo makers and no one lists the round, I heard its around 4000 fps. I am looking at either this round or a 204 ruger for another woodchuck gun.

Mark2gun)

I've been looking into the newer 17 Remington fireball. Of the few articles I read most said the fireball was a great round. That and almost no recoil has me really intrigued. I was looking at gettng the Remington sps varmint model. That being said many people love the 204, I don't think you could go wrong with either, let us know what you decide on.....could save me the headache of deciding between the 2 in the future lol

I have one of the originals from the 1970's. While it will probably hit 4000 fps, I have it at 3850 fps. It is relatively accurate - 0.5 MOA given that its chamber was put in by Timothy Leary on a bad day using a Black and Decker drill with a masonry bit. It gives new meaning to concentricity. A very nice 300 yard gun for small things.

Mark2.....

I have owned both these calibers and still own the 204....that should say something. i never could get the accuracy from the .17 that i desired....1moa is about the best i ever got. i did kill a few coyotes with it and it would kill them stone dead in their tracks if hit with a solid body shot.

The 204 has it all over the 17 in my opinion. Almost as fast and it shoots like a laser beam out to about 400yds. I have killed upwards of 50 coyotes with mine now and most have been one shot bang/flop kills. i just love it. I would reccomend that you go with the 204 with the 32gr hornady ammo. my ruger m77 shoots factory ammo into tiny little groups. AJ

I also shoot the .204, & I shoot it a bunch; a few buddies went out 2 weekends ago to have some fun, I was able to shoot a 3/4-7/8 5-shot group @ 200 with the factory 32gr V-max's Hornady loads. I've only killed 2 coyotes with it but both were the proverbal "bang/flop" one at about 50yds and the other closer to 300. Hundreds & hundreds of prarie dogs have been given a trip to the stars from this cartridge my longest kill at 525. I would definitely put my vote on the .204.

I have one in a Rem 700 BDL and a Hogue stock. The very first five shots thru the gun went 0.38" at 100yds with Hornady 25gr HP. Velocity just under 4000fps at 3980 average with IMR 4320.
Out to 300yds it is a laser, but after that it loses steam and the wind pushes it around some.
But I do like it for coyotes, crows and other such vermin.

I have one in the light varmint 700 rem and it shoots well. It shoots 25gr hp at 4050fps with w 760 powder. It shoots sub 1/2moa groups and is hell on goghers and 200 yard prarie dogs.gun)

I have a .204 in the Ruger Varmint Model. I really like it. Iv killed over 50 coyotes from 50-just over 500 yards. Every one drt. Mine likes both the 32gr hornady and the 40gr vmax. Puts five shots under an inch at 100 consistently. I would definitely recommend getting one. No recoil so you can spot your shots and super flat out to 400. Since I got mine two of my buddies had to get one. You wont be dissapointed. Good Luck!

I have a M700 BDL in .17 Remington. and as you can see, it shoots quite well with Hornady 20gr V-Max and Varget.

Range002.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.