.17 remington for yotes?

rsq219

what is everyone's opinion on the .17 remington for yotes and fox out to about 200 yards. thanks for the input.

what is everyone's opinion on the .17 remington for yotes and fox out to about 200 yards. thanks for the input.

I like em if the shots are like you said and 200 or so. I have a 17 fireball that has taken a few yotes and all were DRT with not much damage to hides.

Jeff

Its a little light for my liking. I shot one at 50 yards quartering towards me. Hit it right in the shoulder where the leg connects. Dropped him right there, spun to try and get the double that was running through the woods. Looked back the first yote was up and running. I tracked him for a 150 yards and he was bedded in some brush looking at me, finished him off with the shotgun. Also when shooting steel at a 100 yards, it won't knock the plates over that a 223 does with ease. Just not enough kinetic energy. But I know it will kill them, shot placement is just more critical.

I've never shot a 17 however, I do have a .204 and even it is to lite with the bullets constructed for it. Coyote hunting is my main hunting and I have had coyotes drt with the .204 but, I've also had alot of wondeds get away. I will be trying some diffrent bullets and if they don't work I'll be looking for another caliber. Brad

I have used one for years. The terminal performance cant be matched when using 25grn bullets or heavier. Many hunters have commented on how quickly they have dropped when i have called in coyotes. Sold my 22-250 because in calling situations, the 17 fits the best. Oh yea, layed one out at the 400yd mark a few weeks ago. My partner was using a 204 ruger, and furbuyer wouldnt buy coyotes he shot with it. 32grn vmax=4" exit&splash holes.

I have killed several deer and 2 elk with .17 Rem. The elk were all within a hundred yds and head shot. Deer were lung shot and they took some tracking but expired with one shot. The .17 will do for coyotes out to about 250 or so with good hits, I recall hitting one at abou 300 yds going away from me, Bullet blew his sack up!! He chased his tail for about a minute and kept on going, we got him eventually. That bullet had not penetrated at all. Just left a big crater where his nuts had been. I went up to a 6mm for them and do not have to chase them anymore.

I have shot the .17 Remington for about 15 years and killed quite a few (>150) Coyotes with it. Some of the problems voiced I haven't encountered but maybe they have shot a lot more than I have. I shoot Nagel 30s over VVN540 @3900 and it seems to flatten them really well out to 350 and change. Any caliber even my Swift will cripple if shot placement is poor, some try to load the cartridge down to extend barrel life and that ruins it's effectiveness. The seventeens I have owned have all shot really well and for a calling gun it is what the guys who hunt fur for a living use.

I was so disappointed with my 204 hitting a coyote at a little over 250 yards in the chest and having it run away and not recovered I got rid of it. I dont think I would try the 17REM based on what my 204 did.

I stepped up to a 6.8 SPC for most of my predator hunting, it does damage the pelt a little more than my 6x45 did but it puts them down right when I hit them....its hard to sell a pelt when the coyote is still wearing it with a nasty flesh wound.

Too fragile a bullet plus too much speed equals poor penetration. Use the stouter bullets when using the sub-caliber artridges. The 35 ro 40 grain Berger is the answer in the .204. Avoid the poly-tipped bullets in the .17's and .20 calibers. As mentioned earlier,they will poleaxe them and then a different shot placement may fail to penetrate.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/coyote-cartridge-bullet-fur-damage-1.php

That's been my experience as well. Polymer tip bullets in the .17 are not at all useful for coyotes. I have shot several with 20 and 25 Vmax that got away with a splash wound. That does not happen often with a 25 or 30 HP. There was a fellow from Utah that shot hundreds of Coyotes with the .17 Remington/25 Bergers@4000fps and he was deadly on them out to quite a piece standing or running. The 30 Nagels are an extremely accurate and well constructed pill and with 540N powder can achieve the velocity needed for 350 lbs. energy at 350 yds.
Incidentally I have had 50 vmax out of a Swift splash at close range Coyotes as well if they are pushed at max.

what is everyone's opinion on the .17 Remington for yotes and fox out to about 200 yards. thanks for the input.[/QUOTE I'm sorry but i have to disagree with all you guys.... i live in CA i been shooting Coyotes & gray Fox with my 17 Rem since 1995. i have killed over 700 Coyotes and may be around 200 Gray foxes with it. the purpose of this writing i want to clear any mis conceptions about this fantastic caliber.. first & for most I'm not asking anyone to go out and build one all i will talk about is the spectacular kills on Coyotes that i made with it over the years wether you believe what i say or not thats your business .To be honest 17 is not a prairie Dog caliber because you will get fowling after 50 rounds or so but in calling you will never shoot 50 rounds . i wasn't happy with any of the bullets out there until i shot the 25 grn V-Max the V-max is a long bullet with the highest B.C. of any 25 grn bullet out there .230 it will not stabilize in a 1-10 Barrel you must shoot it in 1-9 Twist barrel don't tried in 1-10 you will be disappointed in 1-10 use a 20 grn V-max another fine bullet . My Rifle is a Rem 700 custom with 24 inch XX Douglas medium heavy Barrel in H.S precession stock with a 2 OZ. Shillen competition Trigger and a Leupold mark 4 Scope 6.5X20X50 LRT. i have tried every bullet out there and yes i agree they all killed cleanly out to 300 yards, until i shot the 25 grn V-max. To be honest i didn't know what to expect until i shot one Coyote at 319 yds in his tracks he fell then 420 yd dead in his tracks also shot one in his Throat at 590 yds using Leica laser, not that i was aiming at the Throat the wind carried the bullet into his mouth while he was Howling he died before hitting the ground and on and on all with Zero Fur damage. my buddy saw my .17 kills and replaced his 204 barrel with 17 Rem. This experience comes from years of trial and error testing and hundreds of hours on CA cattle Ranches killing Coyotes at all different ranges. all i ask is get some Varget or H4895 extreme powders drive these bullets close to 4050fps. but please be very careful approaching this speed use extreme caution! go out and shoot a Coyote on a windless day out to 500 yds. i would like to hear from you. its worth mentioning here with Shillen i chamber a round when i sit prone and ready to call and eject the cartridge when done calling if you don't do this then i advise you to get a different Trigger. i feel in order to connect with these long range Coyote a 2 oz Trigger is a must. As far as 17 being wind sensitive i find it no more sensitive than 22-250 and .223 keep in mind sears Tower moves with wind as well so don't nock this fine Caliber until you try it, i think i read some were that it gets to 600 yds in less than a second but don't quote me on that. Finally if you want to shoot a caliber that has Zero kick and practically no Fur damage and want to see the animal dropping in your scope look no further than .17 Rem..... follow my advise i promise you you will agree. S.K.

i have shot over 250 coyotes with a lot of different calibers. the one i shot last year with a .17 rem i did not recover.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.