.17 rebarel

11bono

I am rebareling a .17 sako. I would like to shoot 35-40 gr. bullets what twist do I need? Does anyone else shoot a fast twist .17? Do you think I will be able to shoot 500 yards with a 40 gr.?

lilja recomends a 1-6 twist for the 37 grain vld bullets.

As far as shooting to 500 yards. You shouldnt have any problems,except wind. i reguarly shoot my 20 tactical wih 32 grain v maxes @ 500.

d-a

Bono,

Where are you going to get 40-50 grain bullets in .17? Berger has discontinued the 37gr VLD. I don't know of too many people who shot the 37gr Berger who got really good velocity and accuracy. If the bullets were driven fast they usually came apart. If you want a big .17 build one on an improved .223 case, the PPC, or the BR and use a 1/9 twist and shoot the 30gr Golds with a BC of .270 or if you find the discontinued 30gr Berger match boattail.

If you wanted to rebarrel to another caliber ignore me since I thought you were talking .17s.

I am just looking for advice on a route to take. I want to shoot a heavy bullet in the 17 rem. I want to shoot the heavy bullets. If 35 vld is all they make then thats what I want to shoot. Unless they do not shoot well.... Just looking for more info before I drop it off to get rebarreld.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts