17 mach2 accuracy issue

sconnie264

Thompson Center R55 17 mach2
Nikon 3x9x40 Buckmaster
CCI 17gn ammo
Pitiful 3/4" group at 50yds

Is this normal? Quality scope on a so-called quality rifle that should be shooting ragged holes and I can't reliably hit gophers at 100 yards? I know it wasn't a huge hit in the rimfire world but what have you guys seen with this caliber?

Try cleaning the barrel these seam to be real fowlers I have a 10-17 HM2 with a E.R.Shaw barreel and it fowls after 10-20 rounds Mine prefers eley clay ammo and Hornady. when clean i can group them around 1/2" if I do my part. Hope this helps.
Robster

Nikon 3x9x40 Buckmaster
CCI 17gn ammo

Is this normal? Quality scope on a so-called quality rifle that should be shooting ragged holes and I can't reliably hit gophers at 100 yards? I know it wasn't a huge hit in the rimfire world but what have you guys seen with this caliber?

Not to demean you but that flat sucks. I have an AK 47 that does better.....:D

Nikon 3x9x40 Buckmaster
CCI 17gn ammo

To be honest this round should have been a centerfire instead of rimfire. The ballistics have been encouraging as of late with the mixes of new powders. I too was disappointed at first and thought that it could never replace the .22, however, I found that through practice the .17 can be a replacement for the .22. May want to try a different rifle or load. CCI, Hornanady and Remington have turned out better rounds. Up the ante and try magnum loads at the range first.

I think in time the manufacturers listed above will redesign the .17 to be a centerfired round instead of rimfire. Would like to reload these casings instead of throwing them out. Also I feel the grain weights need to be increased beyond the 33 grains that are now available. Just a suggestion try closing the distance to 25 yards on gophers and see what you come up with. May be the rifle just isn't good enough to meet your needs. Remember not all rifles are going to shoot accurately out of the box. gun)

Try going over to a .223 round instead. Agreed the AK-47 provides a faster twist rate on the round. Could have issues with the rifle itself and may not have been bored out properly. The .223 being a souped up .22 will have the retained energy down range for small game. Was talking to the wife about the .17 last night and her opinion is that this round is born to be a centerfire not a rimfire.

Perhaps Hornandy will come totheir senses and re-engineer the round for better performance. It does have potential but not as a rimfire. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.