17 HMR vs 22 mag

This is a very interesting thread and it appears a number of people are recommending more or less what I ended up doing: I have a savage 22 mag Stainless Steel fat barrel, a 93, WOW, it's a shooter.... 125 yards and I can stop most anything thin skinned creature... well, anyway, everyone was telling me I have to get a .17

It was like a religion swept the nation... The .17 evangelical born again sermonizers... and I had to listen to many .17 sermons.

So, after much reading and "listening" and investigating I did end up getting something else: a 223.

It has more range, flat shooting, not much bark... or bite... ammo is very cheap...I can get 40 grain up to... geeez... well over 65 grain and that's alot, So for me I was drawn to go to the 223 rather than the .17, and yes I know there are many who would say the .17 can do what the 223 can't and the 22 mag can't.... all I can say is: not much as far as I can see, but I respect you for your discernment and for your preference for a .17 over BOTH a 22 mag and a 223. Amen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.