.17 cal remington centerfire

Chris,
Couple of years ago I met an Inuit guide in the arctic who kills his caribou with his .17 Rem. Shoots Remington factory ammo he buys in the trading store. One of his clients lost a rifle en-route from Europe so he loaned the little .17 to the guy and he took two bulls. Believe he shot them in the neck, the guy had the two nice bulls at the airport when we arrived.

Chris,
Couple of years ago I met an Inuit guide in the arctic who kills his caribou with his .17 Rem. Shoots Remington factory ammo he buys in the trading store. One of his clients lost a rifle en-route from Europe so he loaned the little .17 to the guy and he took two bulls. Believe he shot them in the neck, the guy had the two nice bulls at the airport when we arrived.

JR,
Mike Rock told me he cut a few 17 barrels in the past and when I asked him to make me a couple he said there wasn't enough money in the world and something about a cold day in hell!

Ian,
You want a Rock in 17 now dontcha?

Chris,

I had the pleasure to cut rifling a couple of those early 1/6" twist barrels a few years back..The stress took decades off me life, on a pucker factor scale of 1-10, rated a good 240...

JR

[ 02-02-2004: Message edited by: JR ]

Chris,

Oh there's always a price, and you know that....hahah..we don't do the 17's here, but I didn't mind rifling the 9" + twist so much back in the day, made a lot of pressure barrels for Remmy in that cal, few for Berger, had it pretty much figured out how to push and pull a 50"+ coat hanger diameter hollow tube up and down a barrel without too many hangups...wouldn't do it in 5 groove 'r' form though, would in even groove 'r' type form..the fast 6" twist buggers though, sheesh..

JR

I lusted after a 17 calibre for years. I currently have a 17 Remington with Lothar Walther barrel. I hate to think how many rounds I have put through this 1500+ but it still shoots tight groups. I think you need to keep the barrel clean though. I have used 20gr V-max, 25gr Hornady, 15gr and 30gr Berger (MEF and Match). Initially I used Varget but have had good results with Benchmark (22gr) I get a lot of primer cratering since I had it rebarreled but use Remington 7 1/2 primers exclusively. The 17 round is pretty devastating. I use it mainly on crows, magpies, rabbits and wood pigeon. We don't have too many tree rats in these parts but the few I have shot with it were torn up pretty badly. I wouldn't plan on using it if you plan on cooking what's left! Overall I am pleased with the 17 Remington but it hurts me to say my 223 VSSF is more consistently accurate. However I have a Shilen barrel for the 17 and am expecting great things. The velocity is incredible. My chronograph recorded 4200 with the 20 gr V-max and 4500!!! with the 15gr Berger (though accuracy was not special) most consistent have been the Hornady 25gr hollowpoints. I get about 3800fps which seems good enough. Would I buy another one? Yes definitely. It needs more work on your part but is a great round.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts