.17 cal remington centerfire

Brian and Chris

Brian
I used the 80 Siarra MK in the 22/284 for that test on the bowling pins and had about 40 witnesses at our Fathers day shootout 5 years ago.

The two shots exited the pins on the far side with holes the size of a 50 cent piece.

Chris

The 8 twist is what is recommended for the 80 gr bullet especially in the bigger case, and it works "very" well in my 22/284. My barrel is 30" on that one.

As for the 17 with a 30" (at least) barrel, I think it would be a "real" good one. I've heard of fellows using the 17 for bigger game then coyote and it puts them down in a heck of a hurry out to 300 yards. I'm speaking of wolves from 100 to 125 Lbs.

Beside being a pleasure to shoot and very accurate, the 17 is a fine cartridge and a sleeper to most shooters.
I know of one fellow here in PA that recently won a 600 yard match with his 17 . He was shooting against some of the better longrange cartridges to. He doesn't do to well at Williamsport with it though and the "extra" 422 yards from that 600 yard mark to the 1022 yard target, is the reason. I think he only kept all 10 shots on paper two or three times during the 10 match season?

Later
DC
smile.gif

DC--it took awhile for that pin of mine at the range to get any exit wounds. what makes the 80grainer penetrate so good. I dont think a 200 smk at 3100 went thru it? not sure though because it is pretty chewed up right now.

JB

Tim-- yeah Blaine switched to a .14/221 Fire. for a short while, but went back to the .17's shortly afterwards, i think due to range limitations ('bout 150 yds. was the best he could do if i remember correctly). Do you remember the article in SCN??

Brian-- i used that Hammett bullet too, and some 25's from him, and some 25 UnMussig's too, but i wasn't doing any serious accuracy .17 cal stuff at all back then. But i do remember that 30 Hammett was the best bullet i ever used to collect coyote fur tho.
[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

JB

I think Tomahawk #1 was there that day that I did it?
Two shots back to back and they both penetrated the large part of the pin within 2" of each other at 1000 yards.
Ray Romain was spotting behind my rifle and saw the shots go in as did the other fellows looking in their bigeyes.

The higher velocity and smaller diameter will many times penitrate "better" then a larger diameter and slower bullet will into solid or hard material.

Even on steel plates, this is true many times.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Darryl, Thanks for the info on the 80 grain Sierra. I suspected that it would have been that bullet, as like its smaller brother the 69 grain HPBT, they hold together well.

I believe your story about the .17 taking wolves and animals about 100 - 130 lbs,as I have experienced instances where they seem to kill way beyond their weight.

I have had about 10 one shot kills on feral pigs (estimated weight 50 - 130lbs) with deliberate shots from my .17/222 mag using the Hornady 25 grain bullet.

I certainly would not take it (or recommend) it to go hunting pigs, as my 25/06AI with the Nosler 100 BT is just terrific on pigs and other medium game. However, if you only have .17 in your hand at the time, and something appears unexpectedly,it is amazing what it can do. Cheers, Brian.

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: Brian Winzor ]

SS Coyote, It is interesting to hear your comments on the field performance of the 30 grain Hammett.

I purchased the 30 grain Hammetts about 18 months ago, and have only fired about 100 shots with them. The majority of shots have been in working up loads for it.

What were the .17 Ummussig's like? I wrote to him about 3 -4 years ago about purchasing some bullets, but never had a reply. Brian.

SS

I don't have that many rounds (over 350) on the 22/284 and i don't run them as hot as I could.
The 22 Middlestead (22/243) won the Williamsport World open one year.

Brian
I have found that most of the bullets in Sierra MK line seems to be tough bullets and holds up quite well, especially at LR.

Later
DC

ah the old 17 rem. it is a great cal. just to wind resistant!!! if the wid is blow 10 miles an hour the bullit will be off 1` at 100! if not more!!!

Sniper-- i just checked the ballistics of a 30 gr. Berger @ 3800 mv, and it's only displaced 1" @ 100 in a 10 m.p.h. X-wind, and in fact is real close to a 22 cal. 55 gr. bullet @ std. 22-250 velocities (3550 as an avg.) out to 400 or so.

Brian, that Unmussig did well enuf for me out of my Model 7 for coyotes, but i had an odd experience with it once. I pulled a shot on a 200 yd. coyote, and the bullet scraped the dogs left side from point of right shoulder to midway along its chest. It impacted on the fur, and began coming apart as it ran along the dogs chest. it looked just like a wound channel thru some sort of gelatin media, only it was occurring on the dogs fur, before some part of the bullet finally entered the dogs chest and killed it. I'd never seen that before nor since. Just a fluke i guess-- totally ruined the pelt.

Anybody ever use those Genco bullets??

Oh yeah-- one other thing of interest. I was in a gunshop last year, and found some old Sisk 30 gr. soft points. What a collectors item-- neat find, and paid all of $5 for 'em too.

[ 01-25-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Some help here, folks.
Have had the "itch" for awhile now.

Have a Rem 722 in 222 Rem. 26" BBL. Shoots fair enough to get the yote at any respectable distance. But its just a 222.

Why not rebarrel to .17 "something"?

If its reasonable to "destroy" the 222 and go for a 17, then which 17? Rem/VLR/???

Used to shoot a 17 Rem in REM 700 when they first came out. Loved it one minute hated it the next. Seems it was all in the bbl.

BBL would be from one of the better bbl makers. Would have to find a "smith" as none local. But the one in Colorade that did my 270 did an outstanding job. Any special qualifications for a 17?

Recommendations/Advice readily accepted.

Roy,

If that smith was Greg Tanner, go for it. He's built a few 17's for people I know and they all love them.

Other than that, be sure to find someone who has done 17 work before. I let someone set the barrel back on one a couple of years ago, because the throat was shot out. Got it back and he made my new throat even longer than it was when I took it in!
mad.gif

What about twist and bullet recommendations.

(Chucks/PDs/Fox/Coyote)

Remember my only 17 experience was lotsa years ago when key-holes/tumbling/bullet evaportaion or the bullet never making it to the target and lead spray on the target were pretty much the norm. All this out of a factory 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts