.17 cal remington centerfire

stephen

I have been reading as much as I can about the remington .17 cal centerfire, but there is not very much out there that is objective. I wondered if anyone in this forum can tell me anything about the cal., the accuracy and the wind effects. Any thing would be of great help. I am looking for a very accurate small cal. for 150 to 200 yard squirrel hunting.

I have one in a contender it is an excellent round. In my opinion the best for fox and coyotes. I have shot prairie dogs and wood chucks with good results. The wind drift is not as bad as I was told and missed a at first holding to far for the wind. One of the best things about the .17 is the lack of recoil you can spot for your one shots and see the hits on varmints very easy even in a 6# gun. You may want to give a call to the woodchuck den in Baltic OH 330-897-0614 he is an excellent sores for the small cal stuff
grin.gif
http://www.woodchuckden.com/
Crow Mag

The 17 is the love of my life, it was the first rifle I ever built and have been hooked since.
If you guys are having trouble with the 17 use Rem 7 1/2 primers, they are the cat's ***. Over Varget naturally. I use the Berger 25 gr, not the MEF. Just the plain ol' Berger.
Used it in Colorado and Wyoming (were the wind never blows
grin.gif
) and taken coyotes out to 500 no problem. Best shot was a called head shot at 350 on a nice Wyoming female.
No recoil, accurate and laser beam trajectory. Lots of BS out there about it but I have found none of it true.
PredatorMasters & CoyoteGods are good 17 websites. The VarmintHunter is a good mag for 17 info also.
I'm building one for my daughter and probably another for myself.

For what it's worth, I read an article in Precision Shooting awhile back about a Palma shooter who had a 17 built exactly like his Palma rifle. Thought it would teach him to read the wind better. If I remember right he ended up shooting a 6" group at 1000 and hit milk jugs pretty consistently at 1000.

I have limited experience, but have it non the less:

25gn hornady HP with 22.5 varget--3800fps est.

125yds groundhog profile--shot behind shoulder--dropped where hit, no exit.

325yds - groundhog--hit with blood trail, but no body.

they seem to really spike in pressure with the bullets in the lands--it shot so good that way though so i continued. every shot had cratered primers with fed 205's

supposedly CCI's have harder or thicker primer cups and are less susceptable to this problem, but i have not tried anything else.

FWIW,
JB
p.s.:
200yds is a chip shot--300yds the drop is similar to a 223, but after that it starts to drop like a stone.

Eventually id like to try a 17 mach IV--that seems to be the perfect compromise for fouling and velocity.

.. I've had both the .17 Remington in a Contender pistol and the MachIV in a custom Sako(current).. I have been truly impressed with the performance of both but the MachIV is my baby.. If I wasn't a reloader then the .17 Rem would be my obvious choice.. Terminal performance is excellent unless you're after "red mist".. For the most part my experience has shown that the intended target(usually groundhogs) just dies in place.. PO Ackley's book has some interesting reading on this subject.. The Sako has a pretty long throat and the bullet that's given me the best results is the 30gr Berger (either one, no matter).. I've used them on feral dogs up to the size of a Walker with satisfactory results.. My preferred powder in the MachIV is the relatively new Reloader 10X.. I get 3750fps from the 30gr Berger with no pressure signs and good case life.. They are ballistically the same as most lightweight hotrod loads.. About the only special considerations I know of are concerning cleaning.. You'll need .17 specific "stuff" and I'm a big fan of moly in smaller calibers.. Good luck either way... d:^) JiNC

Try these guys for more varmint oriented info..
GoGoVarmintGo

I don't know how I missed this thread last month.

Stephen,

If you've heard all of the rumors about fouling and wind problems with the 17, well the people who repeat those rumors just have no experience with the round. Fouling problems are barrel specific, they have nothing to do with the caliber. Use a good barrel and clean it like any other rifle.

It's true the little .17 pills have a low BC, but they get to the target so fast, the wind doesn't get much of a chance to move them.

Chris, Are you talking about Corbin Shell? I had my 17 Remington built with his reamer. My intentions are to one day put a better scope on it and shoot it at 1,000. Until then, it remains my favorite calling rifle. Just squeeze the trigger and watch the bullet hit the target. It's an amazing little round!
grin.gif

Tim,
I don't recall the guy's name, just the jist of the article.
The 17 is a great caliber for sure. Took two coyotes last Sat with mine. One at 25 FEET and the other at 400 Yards. No fur damage at all on either dog. Both one shot kills, instant kills. Both dogs were around 45 lbs. Biggest I've killed in MO.
Of course, I had to quit hunting cause after two shots my barrel was fouled so bad!!!!
grin.gif
Yeah, right!

Chris,

I clean my barrel every 1-200 rounds, whether it needs it or not!

It's one of the most fun rounds I've ever tried for both loading, and shooting!

I like to load my 17 Remington, right after or just before, I load my 338/416 Rigby Imp.

Such a differenct it keeps me chuckling the whole time I'm loading that little 17 cal.

I do like my 17 Remington and just sent some 225 Win brass to a friend of mine in Alaska.
He now has the 17 VLR and is planning on going to the 17/225 with a 30" (Plus) barrel. He has probably killed more coyotes and other game with his 17s then all posters on this forum put together.

He has written articles in the "Small Caliber News" magazine to.

Later
DC

This is why I come here. Get me rethinking plans for rifles.

Was going to build a 223 yote gun but everybody and their uncle has one. Went to accuracy reloading and checked their 17 stuff. Saw the 17 PPC. Is that over kill for yotes? Speed is unreal at 4K with a 30 grain pill.

Also what does barrel life look like with something this small?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.