168TSX Barnes For Long Range Shots on Powerlines Here in Ga.

GaHunter

Has anyone used these for kills over 300 yards and how is the expansion at long range? I have a .300 Winny spitting them out about 3100fps.

Thanks

welcome, i am in ga as well.

The thing i noticed with the tsx and x bullets was that they performed better with higher impact velocitys. With your winny any shots under 700 or so should have enough impact velocity to open them up.

d-a

Yes d-a,

I shot a nice 10 in Greene last year at about 144 yards with the TSX and the entrance and exit hole were very small.

Yep thats what i got too, not enough expansion for me. I shoot Bergers or Smk's for all my hunting needs

Where you at i am east of atlanta

da

Now the Barnes Xbullets are a different story. I may go back to them and see how they pattern at extended range. I live around Loganville and hunt in Putnam County.

I've read alot of posts from huting experience that the tsx does indeed tend to open better than the original barnes bullet and it also seems to keep it's pedals intact better.
BUT for deer sized game I would feel better using the accubond. It should give "Ballistic tip" type accuracy and yet stay together for close up shots should they happen.
If you go to noslers website you can pick up blems directly from nosler at near "ballistic tip" prices. I've shot lots of the blems and cannot tell them from brand new 1st quality bullets in any way.

Going back to your original question about the 168tsc going 3100.....I think it will open fine all the way to 500 yds for sure and possibly as far as 700.

i have a loganville addy as well, bowhunt in conyers, and gun hunt 13000 acres in washington county. i have a clearcut i can shoot a mile across.

da

Man, I need to meet you at the Waffle House in Loganville and talk with you further if you would like?

we can, i work in warner robins tuesday thru fridays.

email me da28482003 @ yahoo.com

d-a

tripple shocks do not leave a huge exit hole. From the deer that I have skinned that have been shot with them, they pretty much expand on impact, creating a huge temp wound cavity and exit with a small hole. It is hard to believe how much internal damage these bullets do! Most of my experience is with a 7 Mag with the 140's at 3200 fps. Some of the petals break off with deer that are under 100 yards but the damage to the deer is unreal.

Last year a friend shot a 120 lb buck with a 30/06 with a 150g TS and the damage was awful at a range of 100 yds. These bulles are devistating to say the least!

the internal damage is great, however if it doesn't drop right there the blood has two small holes to come out plus the nose/mouth. Makes for a harder tracking job than i want. give me a 2-3+ inch exit and the tracking is easy.

d-a

Sounds like you guys should be using sst's or ballistic tips!! You'll get those results....especially the sst.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.