168gr .308 to 1000 & Beyond .... Anyone Doing It???

I have taken the 168 amax out to 1200+ from a 20" 308 barrel. The 168 did better than the 175 smk and close to the 155 Palma. I was getting chrono readings of 2676 avg with an es of using 44.4 of xbr under those 168's. With that being said I do think that was a bit past it's limit. For my gun 1150 and under seems to be the most accurate with 168 amax and 155 palma's. For some reason my barrel doesn't like the 175+ weights much past 800.

For 600 yards being my max on deer would the 185gr be fine?

It would...but the Nosler 168 grain Ballistic Tip is hard to beat for deer at that range...it has filled my freezer many times.

Drop dead accurate, easy to load, and less expensive too...

I have taken the 168 amax out to 1200+ from a 20" 308 barrel. The 168 did better than the 175 smk and close to the 155 Palma. I was getting chrono readings of 2676 avg with an es of using 44.4 of xbr under those 168's. With that being said I do think that was a bit past it's limit. For my gun 1150 and under seems to be the most accurate with 168 amax and 155 palma's. For some reason my barrel doesn't like the 175+ weights much past 800.

You must live/shoot in a place that is above 6,000 feet or so....

You must live/shoot in a place that is above 6,000 feet or so....

Nope, right about 4,000 ft. However you do bring up a great point. My previous range before I moved was at 620 ft and humid... Needless to say here at 10% humidity and 4000 ft I get drastically different results

My loads may or may not shoot good in your rifle...but I will tell you which powders to look at.

Reloder 15 or Varget...either one...both are awesome and pretty much interchangeable in my rifles.

Start at 43 grains and work up...I've never shot a 26" 308...but for 22" there is often a sweet spot somewhere between 44 and 45...44 grains IS getting warm so work up...Hodgden says 46 grains is max for Varget, Alliant says 45 grains is max for Reloder 15 (I think...been a while since I looked)....neither of my 308's will make it to 46 grains of Varget without getting sticky bolt lift.

I use well prepped Winchester brass...If you use Remington you'll have to use a bit less powder because Remington has less case capacity.

My loads may or may not shoot good in your rifle...but I will tell you which powders to look at.

Reloder 15 or Varget...either one...both are awesome and pretty much interchangeable in my rifles.

Start at 43 grains and work up...I've never shot a 26" 308...but for 22" there is often a sweet spot somewhere between 44 and 45...44 grains IS getting warm so work up...Hodgden says 46 grains is max for Varget, Alliant says 45 grains is max for Reloder 15 (I think...been a while since I looked)....neither of my 308's will make it to 46 grains of Varget without getting sticky bolt lift.

I use well prepped Winchester brass...If you use Remington you'll have to use a bit less powder because Remington has less case capacity.

Are you running yours to the lands or just leaving them spec.

Ill be using Varget and running them right off the lands.

The reason Varget over Re-15 is due to the temp. sensitivity of the re-powder. Dont get me wrong i love re-15 i get absolutely amazing results with it in my 223 but temp. Affects it
where with Varget there is almost no variations in the temp. Change.

And late november when the bucks are rutting here in Montana can be a COLD period more times then not.

I've never had any trouble with Re15 being fussy with temperatures....Re22 has given me fits though (in 300 WM).

Noslers don't mind jumping to the lands...You said you had a Remington (I think)...you won't load anything to the lands in that rifle unless you have modified it a bit or feed them by hand...the throat in ALL factory Remington barrels is like that of a giraffe....long...too long really...but most of them still shoot decent

Most Remingtons (but not all) will reliably feed 308's loaded to 2.82" OAL (overall length)...thats all the magazine will accept, the lands are still about .125" away.

I've never had any trouble with Re15 being fussy with temperatures....Re22 has given me fits though (in 300 WM).

Noslers don't mind jumping to the lands...You said you had a Remington (I think)...you won't load anything to the lands in that rifle unless you have modified it a bit or feed them by hand...the throat in ALL factory Remington barrels is like that of a giraffe....long...too long really...but most of them still shoot decent

Most Remingtons (but not all) will reliably feed 308's loaded to 2.82" OAL (overall length)...thats all the magazine will accept, the lands are still about .125" away.

I guess id never experienced any variations just hears many stories about reloader being sensitive.

Well good to know about the lands being so long. I haven't even shot this 308 yet so everything is unknown so far with it.

Im glad to here that the BT's arent jump sensitive. Im excited to get it up and going.

Gotta get my Vortex Viper HS on it here when i get back from vacation and get this bad boy broke in.

In the heyday of the .308 Win. in high power competition, bullets heavier than 180 grains did best accuracy wise with nothing faster than IMR4064. 42 grains of 4064 under a 190 won more matches and set more records at 600 yards and beyond than all others combined. When 200 grain bullets were used, 48 grains of IMR4350 was the ticket to success. Even 220 and 250 grain Sierra HPMK's over 4350 were wonderful.

The conditions that I am shooting in, high wind on a regular basis, the 168's just don't hold up enough for a grand. I switched over to the Berger 175 OTM and I am having better success out past 500 yards. I am getting 2728 from the 175 OTM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.