168gn Berger/7 Mag

johnnyk

OK, I'm back on the Berger team! I'm not completely through with my load development but I did get a 3-shot .2935" group today.
I used 63.5gn of N560 and 9.5M primer. Instead of "up to" or "in to" the lands, this time I tried .020" jump (tried .010" at the very first). Definitely a move in the right direction. JohnnyK.

Whats your OAL? Mine are at 3.333 (so I can fit into my mag) and its not grouping all that well with H4831SC. I am going to try RE19, RE22, IMR4831. I wanted to try the N560, but I went to Cabelas this weekend and they don't carry it.

Adam32,
My OAL is 2.7200". That's measuring from the base of the case to the ogive using the Stoney Point OAL guage/bullet comparator.
I tried several powder/primer combos and nothing worked till I seated the bullets .020" off the lands.
Each rifle is different in this aspect. Some guys on this forum said they jammed theirs in the lands, others were just touching and some were jumping to the lands.
I tried the powders you listed, less RL19, plus Retumbo and IMR7828. I would love to try those powders again with the bullets seated .020" off. I've used alot of RL22 for the 7Mag in the past. Good luck with yours. Don't give up! Mine aggrevated me enough I considered trading or selling my rifle. Glad I didn't now. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.