168 or 180gr bullets

genecole

I am looking for some help in deciding which size bullet to use in my 300 win mag for hunting. I have always shot 180s but i recently bought an encore and the recoil is pretty bad. I am looking at either the 168 or 180 Barnes XLC bullets the BC's are .476(168) and .552(180). I will mostly be hunting deer and hogs in texas. I am going ot south texas this year and want a flat shooting load. What would yo guys recommend. My barrel is a 26 inch heavy with i believe a 1-10 twist.

I would skip the XLC and go to the 168 grain triple shocks. You will probably have better luck with them accuracy wise.

I can load them safely (max load) to 3400fps in my 26" 300 win mag using I4831 powder and groups are consistently under 1/2" for 3 shots.

With the weight retention of the Barnes bullets you do not need a 180 grain bullet for hunting, 168 will be plenty.

Heck, you're shooting Texas deer, not elk and moose. You could even drop to 150s if you so choose.

We use 150/30-06 here on elk and they do fine. Double lung hits, and get out the skinning knives.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.