168 gr berger hunting bullet

retiredcpo

Anyone know where a guy can get some 168 gr 7mm berger hunting bullets?
cant find any just got a load worked up now i cant get bullets
thanks
Retiredcpo

I don't know anyone who has any at the moment but I would say cabelas will get them faster than anyone. I got some back ordered and I was told 2-3 weeks.

It looks like they are gone from places which stocked them... If you were looking for (.284) 168 HPBT VLD-TARGET I could point you in the right direction, just checked they are in stock...

I was looking for 180grn hunting VLDs and I cannot find those anywhere either....Quickest backorder I've seen so far was midwayusa with about mid May...

I havent tried it yet but there was a thread awhile back about guys that tried the "target" vld's on game and everyone had good performance. In fact in one case someone shot a hunting and a target bullet into the same animal. Both had the same performance. If your worried about how they shoot, according to berger exactly the same.

ovastafford after reading all I have I think I would used the target bullets on game from what I have read there is not much differance(just differance of opinum) I think bullet placement I more inportant.
I Have three boxs of the target coming and three hunting on back order through cabelas they expect to ship end of the month(not holding my breath)

OneLunG you looking for the 7mm?

Anyone know where a guy can get some 168 gr 7mm berger hunting bullets?
cant find any just got a load worked up now i cant get bullets
thanks
Retiredcpo

The VLD targets shoot exactly like the VLD hunting. I know guys that hunt with the VLD targets. Buy a box of targets to work up your loads with, then buy a box of hunting to hunt with. I've got both, Berger says the jacket is a little thinner in the nose of the hunting to promote expansion. Berger also says they fly exactly the same.

I know were you can buy target VLDs now.

Good Luck,
Robbin

robbin I have been using the targets to work up a load and have a good one.
but now there are none here in my area.
I have three boxs coming in from third gen ordered them today.(all they Had)
But I will be shooting 50-100 a week end for the next few months

Retiredcop, thats what I was thinking. When I first started load development with my gun all I could find was the target bullets. I still have some left but when hunting season rolls around Ill use the hunting bullets, but I wouldnt be afraid to use the target ones on game. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Sorry, they had 168 targets yesterday, not today.
They do have the 180s that someone else on this thread was looking for.

.284 Diameter

Berger runs in shifts, I don't think they produce some of every caliber every day. A few months ago there was a shortage of 6.5 140s. I learned my lesson and stock up when they are available now. I emailed them at the time, they said they were running 24 hours a day. I do think the quaility control slows them down, and thats what I am paying for.

Cabellas is saying 2-3 weeks estimated delivery because berger has been telling them and all thier dealers 2-3 weeks since january.A straight up answer is they don't know .The only sure thing about berger bullets is they will be here when they get here.Great products, bad business decisions,sad situation for all berger dealers getting mud on thier faces due to lack of delivery.

Berger is between a rock and a hard place. They are running 3 shifts, producing all they can. They can't keep up with demand in all sizes and weights all the time, but the demand isn't high enough to justify new facilities. Their QC slows them down, which is GOOD. All I can tell you is to stock up when they are available. I keep 4 boxes of 6.5 and 2 boxes each of 270 and 308 on hand. I replace as I use, but if they aren't available, I have several months supply to fall back on....

That's the best advice I can give you. And they aren't cheap, I built my supply by adding a box every time I ordered. Instead of buying all at one time.

Robbin

I called berger the other day on 7mm 168 hunting bullets and they said that their jacket machine was down and their trying to get it up and running. The guy that I spoke with also stated to get them on back order with somebody if you want them by hunting season.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts