168 Alco or 212 ELD X in 300RUM

Eric8619

So a few weeks ago I started thinking about what are the advantages or disadvantages to a lighter faster bullet vs a slower heavier but higher BC bullet. I ran the number's for the Alco 168 and the 212 ELD-X on JBM calculator environmental all being the same. Alco 168 velocity input was 3500FPS and 212ELD-X is 3200fps (i never shot a 168 out of my gun but i have confirmed FPS for the 212) My Gun is a Remington 700 with Broughton 31inch barrel chambered in 300rum. The top chart is the 168 Alco and the bottom is the 212ELD-X from what im seeing the Alco has the advantage other than Energy. Most of my shooting/hunting is done within 1000yards. What is everyone thinking on my thought process?

Hornady 212 ELD-X at 3200FPS

212.PNG

Alco 168 at 3500FPS

168.PNG

Last edited:
Both are great Alcos are awesome but since you're shooting under 1000 yards save the money unless you have really high expectations. Hornady will get you there. Alco pays a lot of attention to detail. Just don't make the mistake I did. Use a precision die for the Alco. The aluminum tips are fragile.

Both are great Alcos are awesome but since you're shooting under 1000 yards save the money unless you have really high expectations. Hornady will get you there. Alco pays a lot of attention to detail. Just don't make the mistake I did. Use a precision die for the Alco. The aluminum tips are fragile.
Thanks for the tips! They are expensive. From your experience are the Alco BC close to what they claim?

I have recently done the same thing. For ever I got hung up on the highest bc I could find. Then I started thinking real world. Now I do just what you did but also pay attention to lowest FPS the bullet should open at. If that distance is where I want it or farther I always go lighter.
For example my 6.5 creed I was shooting the 147 eldm. Then I started to compare my actual hunting distances I feel good about and looking at speed and energy.
I ended up going with hammers because they are faster and flatter to the distance I want to hunt at. If I need more moa I'd rather use it on steel than on game. It's made me rethink all my ammo.
Now I only use the highest bc for my real long range stuff. Like the .338 lapua improved or .375 as if I know I may have a shot that's outside the 6.5 I take a bigger cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.