165gr .308 8208xbr concerns

dpty22

i was in the process of developing a load for hunting. i am using nosler 165 gr accubond. imr 8208 xbr nosler cases cci primers. i have not found load data for this combination so i started low and worked up. i started at 37 grains of powder and went up to 47gr. 44gr. showed the most promise. after doing the shooting i found some some forums and blogs that talk about extreme pressures in the 42gr. zone. my confusion is that i shot up to 47 gr and showed no signs of over-pressure. i know every rifle is different. but i am just concerend that i am missing something or doing something diffrent than the others. does anyone have suggestions or opinions? thanks in advance. Kevin

Where did you get the idea that you should test all the way up to 47 gr?

Loaddata.com shows 42.8 gr 8208xbr to be the max load for a 165 Hornady SP.

Unless you can find more specific data from an authoritative source for your specific bullet, then I suggest you not exceed 42.8.

-- richard

well, after looking at several loads and bullet combinations i looked at the bc of each bullet and tried to come up with something close. then all the blogs and forums i looked at had a varying max so i ran them up and watched for signs of overpressure. i had 168 ballistic silvertips up to 44gr. but i dont like the reviews of the bts on game so i went to the accubonds. 43 grains with the accubonds was horrible 2.25 at 100yd. 44gr. 3 holes touching and the other .75 away. maybe i will go back down to 35 and run it up to 42 and see if anything there is better. thanks for the reply

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.