162 A Max in 7STW?

Jim Oliver

Hi guys,

I wanted to try the Hornady 162 A Max in my STW--however, a note on the box of bullets advises 8 In. twist. I called Hornady and was told that the 162 probably would not stabilize in the Rem bbl. Don't remember if the Rem. twist is 9 1/2 or 10 inches.

Any reason to even try them in a Rem. STW bbl?

Thanks,

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
I called Hornady and was told that the 162 probably would not stabilize in the Rem bbl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to them. It will stabalize just fine.

In my 7mm Rem Mag with a 9.5" twist, the 162gr A-max is my most accurate bullet. With a conservative load at around 2900fps, it will print 1/2MOA or less on a good day. This is with an 8lb rifle.

I'd give them a try, its all I shoot out of my 7mm when hitting the target is important.

Good luck,
don

The 162 A-Max is very accurate in my 7STW with a Hart 10" twist barrel. I can't imagine why Hornady would recommend an 8" twist which few shooters have. If an 8" twist was required, the bullet would be out of production due to lack of sales.

I've got a Winchester model 70 coyote in 7MM WSM with a 9 1/2 twist, and they shoot good. I got a chance to shoot them at 750 today in 5mph wind, they seem to shoot through the wind great. Just my .02 :D
john_m44

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.