160 TSX and fox

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by Tikkamike, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I recently switched to 160 TSX Flat base in my 7mm, pretty much nothing about it is what would be considered optimum for long range. It is holding it own though. I have put it on steel at 1033 yards and was recently able to test expansion on some super thin skinned game. Barnes have a reputation for not expanding on thin skinned game and sometimes bigger stuff too. I shoot barnes almost exclusively and have never had one fail me. They open right away and do a lot of damage. Last week my brother in law and I were deer hunting and a little fox went trotting by on the road below us. I motioned for him to shoot it because he has never shot one before. He was just high and the thing turned around and started running kind of quartering toward me. so I put the crosshairs on his face and let one go. it went through him the long ways and as you can see it had no problem opening up on this very thin skinned critter.
    [​IMG]

2. 1tonpower

1tonpower Well-Known Member

Get the needle and thread

3. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

im gonna need a big spool

4. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger Well-Known Member

I shot a nice dark red fox once with a 250 gr.TSX out of my 9.3x64 . The m.v. was 2750 fps. Fox was 25 yards away. Quartering shot, in behind one shoulder out at just below the joint of the off side. The offside leg fell off when I carried it to the garage. . Didn't blow out the gut tho. Not sure if the bullet started to expand or not. Other than missing a leg the hide was in good shape. It was definatly D.R.T.

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

You proved that statement. :D:D

6. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

You should mount it like that with all the stuff hanging out of it and go to a PETA event to put on display.

7. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! He didn't suffer anyway.... :rolleyes:

8. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

When I first saw it I figured you shot it with your 375 Rum, based on how it opened that antelope doe up!:) then I read it and found that it was shot with ONLY a 7mm rem. :D gun)